Preparing something delicious with scarce resources is nothing but a great art! When I was young we used to have a Panch Meshali Dal or a Mixed Dal prepared with different types of Dal in Kolkata. At that time we were a part of a big fat joint family and at the end of the month when almost all the lentils started touching the end-line of the containers my Maa- Jethima et all used to make the mixed Dal with their scarce resources and believe me they knew the trick because that Dal was heavenly!. Mine is a modification of that Panch Meshali Dal and is a mixture of two variety viz: Bengal Gram a.k.a Cholar Dal and Arhar Dal...Hubby loves this Dal a lot and he often called it "Na ghar ka na ghat ka but Debjani ka!!!!!! Debjani’s Special Dal! 😛 …
I prefer to prepare this Dal whenever I feel like preparing anything special but not the typical yet popular Dal options such Dal Makhani or Bhaja Moog er Dal or Dal Bukharta or Tadka Dal especially during any get together at our place. This Dal is not much rich but tastes yaamm!
- Pigeon Pea:/ Arhar Dal: 1 cup
- Bengal Gram/ Cholar Dal: 1 cup
- Onion: 2
- Green Chilli: 2-3
- Tomato: 1
- Ginger: Garlic Paste: 1 tsp
- Garlic: 1 tsp; chopped
- Cumin Seed: 1 tsp
- Kashmiri Chilli powder: 1 tsp
- Red Chilli powder: 1 tsp
- Turmeric powder: 1tsp
- Cumin powder: 1 tsp
- Coriander powder: 1 tsp
- Garam Masala Powder: 1 tsp
- Bay Leaf: 2
- Dry chilli: 1
- Sugar: 1 tbsp
- Salt: to taste
- Hing: 1 tsp
- White Oil: 1 tbsp
- Ghee: 2 tbsp
- Wash both the dal thoroughly and add 2 cups of water and cook the dal in a pressure cooker until done.
- Heat 2 tablespoon of oil in a non-stick pan. Add chopped onions and fry till it turns golden brown.
- Take fried onions and chopped tomato in a blender and make thick paste of the same with Kashmiri Chilli powder.
- Heat 2 tablespoon Ghee in a non-stick pan. Add hing, cumin seed, bay leaf and dry red chilli to it and fry for 2-3 minutes in low flame.
- When seeds states popping add onion-tomato paste and cook it until soft.
- Add ginger-garlic paste and chopped garlic and normal chilli powder, cumin powder, coriander powder and garam masala powder and fry till aroma comes.
- Add dal mixture and bring to boil.
- Add salt and sugar to the mixture.
- Simmer for 5 to 10 minutes.
- Serve the Dal with Rice or Roti.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Serving Size: 4-5 People