Gujia is a North-Indian Sweet which is popular as Pedakia in Bihar. In North India, Holi festival is almost incomplete without this sweet. I learned to make it from my landlady and try to make it every year on Holi. There are two types of Gujia available: Dry Gujia and Gujia coated with sugar syrup. Both the types are equally tasty however dry one is easy to store and can be stored for around 15 days. I am going to share the recipe for dry Gujia this time.
To make the dough:
- All purpose flour / Maida: 1 kg
- White oil / Ghee: 5 tablespoon
- Baking soda: ¼ teaspoon
- Salt: to taste
To make the Stuffing:
- Khoya / Mawa : 750 g (grated)
- Powdered Sugar: / Guro Chini/ Bhura : 500 gm
- Desicated Coconut: 400 gm
- Cashew nut: 50 g
- Raisin: 50 g
- Almond: 50 g
- Date / Khejur: 50 g
- Fennel seeds / Mauri / Saunf: 1 Tbsp.
- White Oil/Ghee to Deep fry: 500 ml
Making of the Outer quote of Gujia:
- Mix all purpose flour / maida with salt, baking powder and 5 tablespoon of oil.
- The mixture will turn crumbly after mixing.
- Mix water as required (food processor can be used instead of kneading by hand).
- Cover with a wet cloth and leave for 1 hour.
To make the Stuffing:
- Chop Cashew, Raisin, Almond, and Date roughly.
- Dry roast Coconut powder in a frying pan in medium flame till it turn brown.
- Add chopped nuts and raisin to it and fry for 1 minute.
- Add grated Khoya and keep stirring till it mixes properly.
- Add Fennel seeds and fry again for 2 minutes.
- Mix powdered sugar properly and fry for 5 minutes.
- Allow the mixture to cool.
To make Gujia:
- Prepare small balls from the kneaded dough.
- Take one ball and roll it into a small round of 4 inch diameter.
- Stuff half of the round with the khoya mixture and fold it and seal it by twisting the edges inwards.( Gujia moulds can also be used to prepare Gujia’s which are easily available in the market; I prefer to prepare Gujia with the help of mould).
- Prepare rest of the Gujias.
- Heat sufficient Oil/ghee in a deep pan and deep fry the Gujias on a medium flame till golden brown in colour.
- Take out using a sieve and drain the oil properly.
- Prep Time: 20 mins
- Cook Time: 30 mins