I had Besan ka Sheera for the first time at Paramjeet auntie’s place who was a neighbor of mine in Gurgaon around three years back. I went to auntie’s house to buy some candles from her small boutique during winters. I was suffering from rough cold at that time and instead of serving me tea or coffee auntie prepared some Besan ka Sheera and asked me to have it hot! It was a bowl full of semi thick Halwa prepared with Besan and loaded with ghee and at that time I was not in a mood to have anything sweet! I asked for some hot coffee but Auntie told me about the specialty of this Dessert prepared with Besan! Besan Ka Sheera is a traditional dessert mostly prepared by the Punjabi’s and is considered as a home remedy for Cough and Cold! I didn’t believe at that time that a dessert can cure a cough and cold but I was nothing but wrong! It has done a miracle and I got relief after having this amazing dessert from a pathetic cough!
No wonder I then asked Auntie to share the recipe for Besan ka Sheera and Auntie shared it willingly! From then, I made it many time whenever any us suffered from a cough and cold! I made it last week given my Baba and little one were suffering from a cough and cold and the Sheera did the wonder again and I decided=- to share the recipe with my readers especially who are not aware of this amazing home remedy.
Besan ka Sheera is basically a semi thick dessert. Consistency wise it is placed in between Halwa and semi thick Soup. Though some people prefer to have a bit runny version of this and they have it like a thick drink but I prefer to prepare a bit thicker version. Though dry fruits can be added to the Sheera to make it richer but I prefer to avoid adding dry fruits especially while I prepare it as a medication to a cough and cold.
Besan ka Sheera is a semi thick dessert which is used as a home remedy for cold and cough
- Besan/ Gram Flour: 5 Tbsp.
- Milk: 1.5 cup (250 ml)
- Water: ½ cup
- Ghee/ Clarified Butter: 2 Tbsp.
- Green Cardamom: 3-4
- Sugar: 3 tablespoon (I have used Powdered Sugar)
- [url href="https://kitchenofdebjani.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/08/Making-of-Besan-ka-sheera-300x212.jpg"][/url]
- Deseed Green Cardamoms and make a powder of the cardamom seed.
- Dry roast Besan in a non-stick pan for 5 minutes in low flame until the Besan changes the color to golden brown and emits a nutty aroma.
- Now add the Ghee to the Besan and mix it thoroughly and cook for one more minute in low flame.
- Start adding milk to the fried Besan slowly and mix vigorously so that no lumps formed by the Besan.
- Keep the flame on the lower side.
- Add entire Milk and if required add a little water in case found the mixture less runny.
- Now add Sugar and Cardamom Powder to the mixture and keep cooking on low flame until the mixture thickens a bit (less thickened than Halwa).
- Switch the flame off and serve the Besan ka Sheera hot.
Instead of Powdered Sugar, normal Sugar can also be used.
I have not added dry fruits which are optional.
I prefer to use homemade Ghee for this recipe.
- Category: Dessert
- Cuisine: Indian