Bhaja Moong er Dal is a Typical Bengali delicacy prepared almost in every Bengali Households. Bhaja Moong er Daal is a Bong version of Vegan Lentil Soup prepared no Onion and no Garlic. Bhaja refers to “Fried” however this Daal is prepared with dry roasted Moong Daal in fact the special aroma of dry roasted Daal is the significant characteristic of this Daal.
- Yellow Split Moong Dal (Sona Muger Dal): 1 Cup
- Tomato: 1 medium ; chopped
- Turmeric powder: ½ Tsp.
- Sugar: 1.5 Tsp.
- Cumin Seed: ½ Tsp.
- Cumin Powder: ½ Tsp.
- Bay leaf: 1;
- Ginger Paste: 1 Tsp.
- Slit Green chilli: 2-3
- Ghee: 2 Tsp.
- Salt: to taste
- Take Moong Daal in a Non stick pan and dry roast over medium to medium-low heat 1-2 minutes or till the dal changed to a golden colour but not brown and emit a nutty aroma.
- Switch the flame off and Transfer dal to a bowl and wash dal thoroughly.
- Now boil dal along with the turmeric powder & whole chilies till it soften in a pan with lid for 20 minutes or simply pressure cook the same which requires 2 whistle. I mostly opt for Pressure cooker for this step.
- Heat ghee in a Pan and temper the Ghee with Dried Red Chili, Bay leaf and Cumin Seeds and fry for a ½ minute.
- Add Ginger Paste and fry for ½ minute more.
- Add chopped tomatoes (optional) and stir constantly.
- Add Salt, Sugar, Cumin Powder to the mixture and cook for 1 minute.
- Pour boiled dal into the mixture and mix well.
- Cook in medium flame for 5 more minutes & remove from heat.
- Serve Bhaja Muger Dal with Plain Rice along with Begun Bhaja or any other veg or non-veg side dishes.
I personally love to have Bhaja Moong er Daal along with Aloo Phulkopir Dalna as accomplishment for plain rice.
Hope you like this post on bhaja Moong er Daal. It would be really great if you could share this with your Facebook fans or Twitter followers or Google+ circles or Pin it to keep me motivated. You just need to click on the “like,” “share,” “tweet,” “pin it” or Google+ buttons below the post. Thanks a ton! Visit my archive of Bengali Recipes for more such recipes.