Bhaja Moong er Dal
Bhaja Moong er Daal aka Sona Muger Daal is a no onion no garlic comforting Lentil soup from Bengali Cuisine.
- Author: Debjani Chatterjee Alam
- Prep Time: 5 mins
- Cook Time: 20 mins
- Total Time: 25 mins
- Yield: 5 People 1x
- Category: Side Dish
- Method: Cooking
- Cuisine: Bengali
- Diet: Vegetarian
- 1 cup (150g) Yellow Split Moong Dal (Sona Muger Dal)
- 1 Tomato (medium; chopped) (optional)
- 2 Green Chilies
- 1/2 Tsp. Cumin Seed
- 2 Dry Red Chili
- 1 Bay leaf
- 1 Tsp. Ginger Paste
- 1/2 Tsp. Cumin Powder (optional)
- 1/2 Tsp. Turmeric powder
- 1.5 Tsp. Sugar
- 2 Tsp. Ghee
- 1 Tsp. Salt or to taste
- Take Moong Daal in a Non-stick pan and dry roast over medium to medium-low heat 1-2 minutes or till the dal changed to a golden color but not brown and emit a nutty aroma.
- Switch the flame off and Transfer dal to a bowl and wash daal thoroughly.
- Now boil dal along with the turmeric powder, 1 whole chili, and salt till it softens in a pan with a lid on for 20 minutes.
- Else simply use a pressure cook the same which requires 3 whistles. I mostly opt for a Pressure cooker for this step.
- Heat ghee in a Pan and temper the Ghee with Dried Red Chili, Bay leaf, and Cumin Seeds and fry for a 1/2 minute.
- Add little water and cook till the water evaporates.
- Add Ginger Paste and fry for 1/2 minute more.
- Now add chopped tomatoes (optional) and stir constantly.
- Add Salt, Sugar, Cumin Powder, ad slit Green Chili to the mixture and cook for 1 minute.
- Pour boiled dal into the mixture and mix well.
- Cook in medium flame for 5 more minutes & remove from heat.
- Add little Ghee to fish the dish.
- Serve Bhaja Muger Dal with Plain Rice along with Begun Bhaja or any other veg or non-veg side dishes.
- Tomatoes are optional however I prefer mine with it.
- You can skip the cumin powder as well.
- You can top it with a few cilantro as well.
- Ghee can be substituted with Oil, however, that will not give the richness and aroma to the Daal.
- Serving Size: 35-40g
- Calories: 66
- Sugar: 2g
- Sodium: 250mg
- Fat: 0.3g
- Saturated Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 11.9g
- Fiber: 1.9g
- Protein: 4.1g
- Cholesterol: 0mg
Keywords: Bengali Bhaja Moong er Dal, Bhaja muger dal recipe, bengali moong dal recipe, sona moong er dal recipe, debjanir rannaghar
Recipe Card powered by