I was exploring our local market for regular veggies, fruits, poultry and fish given for the entire week I am going to be super busy with office core and I need to fill my refrigerator properly to adjust with my super hectic schedule. I was almost done with the shopping and went to my Phalwala (Fruit vendor) to pick Bananas and Sweet Lime which Pasta loves to take in breakfast and as part of her mid afternoon snack. I saw that the fruit vendor is available with a very good lot of ripe Guava and realised that the Guava season is on now and rate was quite cheap indeed. I picked around 1.5 Kg ripe Guava within a minute as I planned for a jar full of no preservative Guava Jelly. I love to make Jelly or Jam with seasonal fruits and Pasta loves to have a piece of lightly toasted bread with a layer of homemade Jam or Jelly or she sometimes have Jam or Jelly Roti Roll in dinner. However she prefers Jelly over Jam for the smooth texture as Jelly is prepared from the Juice extracted from ripe fruits.
I used to request one of my friend who’s originally from Allahabad to bring the special variety with a pinkish red core when I was in Gurgaon. In Kolkata it is very difficult to find that special variety and I have ended on the normal Baruipur er Piara (Guava from Baruipur area) to make season’s first Guava Jelly. I prefer to use Ripe Guava while making Jelly given that gives amazing aroma to the jelly. However Baruipur er Piara is no less and I have ended on a bright red coloured Guava Jelly with no added preservative and no added colour.
The recipe of Guava Jelly is very simple and requires only 2 ingredients other than Guava to prepare it at home. Last year I have prepared around 20 kg Guava Jelly in the season as I did received small orders for homemade Jelly and started with a small lot of 1.5 kg this year.
- Ripe Guava: 1.5 Kg (around 12 big sized Guava)
- Water: 5 cup
- Sugar: 4.5 cup
- Lemon Juice: 6 Tbsp.
- [url href="https://kitchenofdebjani.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/11/Guava-Jelly-6-300x208.jpg"][/url]
- Wash Ripe Guavas thoroughly and cut each into medium sized pieces.
- Take Guava pieces along with 5 Cup of Water in a pressure cooker and start cooking in high flame with the lid and whistle on.
- After one whistle comes from the pressure cooker lower the flame and cook for around 10 minutes in medium flame or till at least 4-5 whistles comes from the cooker.
- Switch the flame off and let the pressure cooker cool completely and releases the pressure.
- Open the cooker and using a ladle or potato masher mash boiled Guava.
- Pour the mixture in a big strainer or in the mid of a muslin cloth and tie it from all the side to make a tied bag and then place that over a bowl and leave it as it is for 6 hours or overnight after covering with a lid from the top.
- I have used a strainer instead of cloth for extracting the juice.
- Juice will drop through the strainer to the bowl placed beneath the strainer/cloth.
- Lightly squeeze the cloth bag or strainer to extract extra juice.
- Now measure the Juice extracted from Guava using a cup.
- For this recipe we need to add equal quantity of sugar as the Guava Juice.
- Now take the Juice in a deep bottom pan and add equal quantity of sugar for each cup of Juice and add 1 Tbsp. of lime Juice for each cup of Juice and add 2 Tbsp. extra Lime juice after that.
- Start boiling this mixture in medium flame and stir continuously while boiling the mixture.
- When bubbling comes to the mixture lower the flame and cook till the mixture thickens and if drips from a spoon then turned into joint thick drop. Jelly would turn onto bright red colour at this stage.
- It took me 15 minutes to reach the setting point of Guava Jelly.
- Switch the flame off and give the jelly a standing time of 10 minutes and pour it into sterilized glass jar and seal the lid of the jar.
- Prep Time: 4 hours
- Cook Time: 30 mins
- Category: Jam & Jelly
- Cuisine: Indian