Doi Maach is a kind of time savior dish to me….. I prefer to prepare it whenever I feel dog tired and also crave for a bowl full of Fish curry along with my plate of rice especially after returning from office. Apart from this, I prefer to make it in Family gatherings as well as Doi Maach requires hardly 30 minutes of boiling time and the best part is for this dish I don’t need to fry fishes…
My recipe of Doi Maach is not the typical traditional Bengali recipe…. It’s a kind of mix and match of the recipe of my two beloved relatives… My Dida used to prepare Doi Maach after frying fishes while my Chordibhai never fries fish pieces while preparing it… Chordibhai’s recipe is actually quite simple. She just marinates fish pieces with Curd and a mixture of Sugar, Salt, Chili Powder and Mustard Oil and then prepares the dish by slow boiling…while Dida’s Doi Maach is quite similar to Bengali Fish Curry… She used to fry fish pieces and the gravy was prepared with Onion, Ginger, Garlic and obviously Curd….However, I prefer Chordibhai’s recipe over Dida’s recipe since I found that more authentic… Actually, Doi Maach or Doi Rui prepared with Rohu fish is a modified version of Doi Ilish prepared with Hilsa fish and For Doi Ilish we don’t fry fish pieces instead we steam it and for me the same applies to Doi Maach a.k.a Doi Rui….I have modified Chordibhai’s Recipe a bit according to my taste… I prefer to add little Onion paste along with Ginger-Garlic paste in my Doi Maach to give it a bit different taste…..So adding Onion, ginger, and garlic is optional but this is how I prepare Doi Maach…
Last but not the least… Doi Maach is ideal for bachelor cooking! Since you need some basic ingredients and then few minutes of boiling and voila! I mostly make Doi Maach in Microwave for hassle-free cooking and if you are not available with a Microwave then just boil it in a pan…
- Rohu Fish/ Rui Maach: 5-6 big size Pieces (around 500g)
- Yogurt: 200g
- Onion Paste: 2 Tbsp.
- Ginger Paste: ½ Tsp.
- Garlic Paste: ½ Tsp.
- Green Chilli: 3-4
- Bengali Garam Masala Powder: ½ Tsp.
- Kashmiri Chilli Powder: ½ Tsp.
- Turmeric Powder: 1 Tsp.
- Sugar: 1 Tbsp.
- Mustard Oil: 2 Tbsp.
- Salt: to taste
- Wash Fish chunks thoroughly and rub little Salt and Turmeric Powder to the Fish Pieces.
- Take Yogurt in a big Microwave Oven Safe Bowl (I prefer to use Glass Bowl with a lid) and beat the Yogurt using a spoon.
- Now add Onion Paste, Ginger Paste, Garlic Paste, Bengali Garam Masala Powder, Kashmiri Chilli Powder, Turmeric Powder, Sugar, Salt and Mustard Oil to the Yogurt and give it a proper mix.
- Now place Fish pieces over the Yogurt mix and coat all the fishes properly and then leave it for around 45 minutes to 1 Hour.
- Transfer the Bowl after covering it with the lid to Microwave oven and cook for 20 minutes in 40% or medium.
- After that open the Lid and add slitted Green Chillies and again cook in 100% or in high for 10 minutes. This will give Doi Maach a fresh aroma of Green Chillies without tempering the green color of Chilies.
- If you are not available with a Microwave Oven then just take fish with the Curd Mixture in a Deep vessel and cook for 15 minutes in low flame and then for 5 minutes after adding Green Chilies in high flame.
- Give the dish a rest of 10 minutes before serving!
Serving Suggestion: Just few spoon of Steamed Rice along with Doi Maach and Voila!