I don’t know whether I love the name more or the taste more! Kurkuri Bhindi…. What an adorable name…. a super tasty Indian starter prepared with the delicate lady of the Veggie family i.e. Lady Finger a.k.a Bhindi or our very own Dhyarosh! Dhyarosh Bhate or Boiled Lady Finger is very popular yet health food that is served to the unlucky children in almost every Bengali household and I am not an exception! My Mom used to serve me that weird thing once in a while and hence I always try to not to have Bhindi until I tasted the Crispy Appetizer prepared with Bhindi known as Kurkuri Bhindi which is a famous North Indian Delicacy. So for me it is a journey from Dhyarosh to Bhindi and Bhate to Kurkuri! 😆
Preparing proper Kurkuri Bhindi is nothing but an art! It’s all about the art of Cutting strips of Bhindi! 😎 To prepare super crunchy Kurkuri Bhindi you need to cut a single Bhindi longitudinally in to at least 6-8 strips or may be more! With my limited ability of cutting and chopping, I am able to cut that long ladies Finger into max 8 strips! Next step is not that complicated… it’s just to coat Bhindi strips with Spices and then deep frying those…and finally 1 plate full of Kurkuri Bhindi and willingly or unwillingly to share with hubby and Baby! 😈
- Serving size: 2 People
- Ladies Finger/ Bhindi/ Dhyarosh/ Okra: 250g
- Gram flour/ Besan: 3 Tbsp.
- Chaat Masala: ½ Tsp.
- Dry Mango Powder/ Aamchoor Powder: ½ Tsp.
- Roasted Cumin powder: ¼ Tsp.
- Red Chili Powder: ½ Tsp.
- Turmeric Powder: 1 pinch
- Salt: to taste
- Refined Vegetable Oil: for deep frying
- Wash and Pat dry and then cut the top crown and bottom of each of the Lady Fingers.
- If you have bigger sized Lady Fingers then cut them in to two vertical halves else use them as it is for longitudinal Cutting.
- Cut each of the Lady Fingers in to as many as possible thin and long strips preferably using a knife. I was able to cut Lady Finger in to max 8 strips.
- Now take all the strips in a Bowl and add Gram flour, Chaat Masala, Dry Mango Powder, Roasted Cumin powder, Red Chili Powder, Turmeric Powder and Salt to the Lady Finger strips and using a spoon mix properly.
- Leave those for around 15 minutes before frying.
- Now heat sufficient Oil in a deep Pan and Deep fry spice coated Lady Fingers in medium flame until those turn crispy.
- Take the Friend Lady Fingers or Kurkuri Bhindi out in a kitchen towel or Tissue papers to absorb excess oil.
- What else! Super tasty Kurkuri Bhindi are ready to serve!