I always cherish my baking ventures but I am not a trained baker.. In fact I have started baking from the scratch by checking recipes online…in the initial days; I was always worried about the garnishing part because I was not that prompt to handle fondant or buttercream frosting… I was not even aware about the types of cake decoration at that time… One of the first icing that I have tried successfully is “Ganache”. I completely understand the dilemma of an untrained home baker. On that thought, I have decided to share the recipe of basic “Chocolate Ganache” which is a worldwide popular topping for cakes and can be prepared very easily with locally available ingredients.
- Semi-Sweet Chocolate: 1 Cup (150 g)
- Heavy Cream: ¾ Cup (180 ml)
- Unsalted Butter: ½ Tbsp.
- Salt: a Pinch
- Break Chocolate bar into small pieces however, if using Chocolate chips then you don’t need to chop those.
- Take Chocolate in a Deep Microwave oven safe bowl.
- Microwave Chocolates for around 40 Seconds* and mix the chocolate using a spoon.
- Take Heavy Cream in a bowl and start heating it till bubbles appeared around the edges of the bowl. You don't need to boil the cream and it's important to stop heating the cream just before boiling point.
- Pour the Cream over Chocolates and cover the bowl with a lid for around 5 minutes.
- After 5 minutes start mixing the Chocolate-Cream with a help of a whisk for around 5 minutes to get a semi-thick chocolaty mixture.
- At this point melt the butter and pour it over the Choco mix and add a pinch of salt and mix it again to give the Ganache a lovely glaze.
- Ganache is ready to use!
- If you want to use “Ganache” as a Glaze Topping then you can use it right away. You can check my recipe of Eggless Vanilla Cake with Chocolate Ganache for further information. I have shared the process of topping Strawberries with Ganache in the same post.
- For using “Ganache” as a Frosting or Icing, it is required to fridge it for around 3-4 hours.
Salted butter can also be used and in that case don’t add salt.