Candied Ginger is not only used in baking but is age-old remedy for treating Inflammation, Nausea, Morning Sickness or Motion Sickness etc. Though easily available in stores but I love to prepare Candied Ginger like the Candied Orange Peels just because of the residue Syrup which I use while making flavoured Tea or Sorbet and even sometimes in Cocktails and Mocktails.
How to make Candied Ginger
- Ginger: 100 g.
- Sugar: 1 Cup
- Water: 7 Cup
- Castor Sugar: ½ Cup
- Wash and Pat dry Ginger.
- Remove the skin from the Ginger.
- Thinly slice Ginger.
- Take Ginger Strips in a saucepan and pour cold water (I have added 2 Cup of Water) to cover those completely and then start boiling in high flame.
- Simmer the heat after 2-3 minutes and discard the water.
- Following the same process boil ginger strips with water and discard water for 2 more times.
- Take 1 Cup each of sugar and Water in another Saucepan and cook in high flame and reduce the flame when the mixture brings to boil.
- Add ginger strips and cook in low flame for around 30-40 minutes or till the peels turn translucent in colour. Don’t stir while cooking the Peels since stirring can cause crystallization of sugar.
- Switch off the flame and separate the peels from the sugar syrup by straining.
- Store discarded syrup in a container for future use.
- Allow ginger strips to dry for around 5-10 minutes and then roll them in Castor Sugar.
- Place sugared Ginger in a wire rack to allow them to dry for around 7-8 hours or overnight.
- Store Candied Ginger in a container for future use.
Spread the love