A good substitute to Tandoori Chicken is Pahadi Murgh Kebab. I made it often in my place whenever we have a n appetite for Chicken Kebab but don't want to have tandoori chicken. A bit raw in taste, Pahadi Murgh Kebabs are really tasty . Chickpea Flour gives an unique flavor to this dish which I love. This Kebabs are also known as Gypsy style Chicken Kebab...
- Chicken (with bone) : 750 g (medium size pieces)
Marination Stage 1:
- Ginger Paste: 1 tablespoon
- Garlic Paste: 1 tablespoon
- Red Chili Powder: 1 teaspoon
- Turmeric Powder: 1 teaspoon
- Salt: 1 teaspoon
- Lemon Juice: 1 tablespoon
Marination Stage 2:
- Besan/ Chickpea Flour: 2 tablespoon
- Hung Curd: 3 tablespoon
- Kashmiri Red Chili Powder: 2 teaspoon
- Green Chilies: 5-6
- Cumin Powder: 1.5 teaspoon
- Coriander Powder: 1.5 teaspoon
- Garam Masala Powder: 2 teaspoon
- Salt to taste
- Coriander Leaves along with Stem: around 15 leaves
- Mint Leaves: Around 15 leaves
- Garlic Paste: 1 teaspoon ( optional)
- Vegetable Refined Oil: 3 tablespoon
- [url href="https://kitchenofdebjani.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/11/Pahadi-2BMoorg-2BKabab11-300x242.jpg"][/url]
- Wash Chicken Pieces thoroughly and dry them on kitchen towel.
- Make slits on the Chicken flesh till the bone (as shown in the picture).
Marination Stage 1:
- [url href="https://kitchenofdebjani.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/11/Pahadi-2BMoorg-2BKabab161-300x214.jpg"][/url]
- Make a mixture for 1st level Marination with the Ginger-Garlic Paste, Turmeric Powder, Salt, Red Chili Powder and Lemon Juice and apply on the
- Chicken Pieces thoroughly .
- Fridge marinated Chicken Pieces overnight or at least for 8 hours.
Marination Stage 2:[url href="https://kitchenofdebjani.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/11/Pahadi-2BMoorg-2BKabab171-300x214.jpg"][/url]
- ake 2 tablespoon of oil in a Pan and heat the oil and temper the oil with Coriander and Cumin Powder and cook for 1 minute in low flame.
- Add Chickpea Flour and cook for one more minute in low flame and add Garlic Paste, Mint and Coriander leaves along with Green Chilies.
- Add Kashmiri Red Chili Powder and salt to the mixture and mix it properly and switch the flame off.
- Now add Hung Curd to the mixture and transfer the mixture to a blender and make a coarse paste.
- Apply the mixture on the previously marinated Chicken Pieces and again fridge those for 1 more hour.
- Preheat the oven on 300 degree C and start roasting the Chicken
- Pieces on 300 degree C.
- After 5 minutes take the Chicken Pieces out of the oven and brush them with oil and again start roasting them in 300 degree C for 25 minutes.
- Taker the Pahadi Murgh Kebabs out of the oven and give those a stand of 5 minutes and serve with your favourite Salad or Pickle.
- [url href="https://kitchenofdebjani.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/11/Pahadi-2BMoorg-2BKabab81-300x207.jpg"][/url]
Deshi Chicken (Country Chicken) will give the best taste to those Pahadi Kebabs.
It’s better to use Chicken with bones since, this is a Gypsy dish and bony Chicken gives this dish a natural flavour.
Though I have used refined oil to just to cut the calories, however a mixture of Mustered Oil and Ghee would be ideal for making those Kebabs.
- Category: Chicken
- Cuisine: North Indian