A good substitute to Tandoori Chicken is Pahadi Murgh Kebab. I made it often in my place whenever we have a n appetite for Chicken Kebab but don’t want to have tandoori chicken. A bit raw in taste, Pahadi Murgh Kebabs are really tasty . Chickpea Flour gives an unique flavor to this dish which I love. This Kebabs are also known as Gypsy style Chicken Kebab…
- Chicken (with bone) : 750 g (medium size pieces)
- Ginger Paste: 1 Tbsp.
- Garlic Paste: 1 Tbsp.
- Red Chili Powder: 1 Tsp.
- Turmeric Powder: 1 Tsp.
- Salt: 1 Tsp.
- Lemon Juice: 1 Tbsp.
- Besan/ Chickpea Flour: 2 Tbsp.
- Hung Curd: 3 Tbsp.
- Kashmiri Red Chili Powder: 2 Tsp.
- Green Chilies: 5-6
- Cumin Powder: 1.5 Tsp.
- Coriander Powder: 1.5 Tsp.
- Garam Masala Powder: 2 Tsp.
- Salt to taste
- Coriander Leaves along with Stem: around 15 leaves
- Mint Leaves: Around 15 leaves
- Garlic Paste: 1 Tsp. ( optional)
- Vegetable Refined Oil: 3 Tbsp.
- Wash Chicken Pieces thoroughly and dry them on kitchen towel.
- Make slits on the Chicken flesh till the bone (as shown in the picture).
- Make a mixture for 1st level Marination with the Ginger-Garlic Paste, Turmeric Powder, Salt, Red Chili Powder and Lemon Juice and apply on the
- Chicken Pieces thoroughly .
- Fridge marinated Chicken Pieces overnight or at least for 8 hours.
- ake 2 Tbsp. of oil in a Pan and heat the oil and temper the oil with Coriander and Cumin Powder and cook for 1 minute in low flame.
- Add Chickpea Flour and cook for one more minute in low flame and add Garlic Paste, Mint and Coriander leaves along with Green Chilies.
- Add Kashmiri Red Chili Powder and salt to the mixture and mix it properly and switch the flame off.
- Now add Hung Curd to the mixture and transfer the mixture to a blender and make a coarse paste.
- Apply the mixture on the previously marinated Chicken Pieces and again fridge those for 1 more hour.
- Preheat the oven on 300 degree C and start roasting the Chicken
- Pieces on 300 degree C.
- After 5 minutes take the Chicken Pieces out of the oven and brush them with oil and again start roasting them in 300 degree C for 25 minutes.
- Taker the Pahadi Murgh Kebabs out of the oven and give those a stand of 5 minutes and serve with your favourite Salad or Pickle.
It’s better to use Chicken with bones since, this is a Gypsy dish and bony Chicken gives this dish a natural flavour.
Though I have used refined oil to just to cut the calories, however a mixture of Mustered Oil and Ghee would be ideal for making those Kebabs.