Achari Masala or Indian Pickle Spice Mix is a typical Indian spice blend especially prepared for making Indian Achar or Indian Pickle. Apart from Pickles “Achari Masala” is also used to make different Gravy based Achari recipes for e.g.. Achari Chicken, Achari Paneer, Achari Bhindi and Achari Aloo etc. It is prepared by mixing different types of coarsely ground spice powders. My Achari Masala includes coarse powder of predefined quantity of Mustard Seed, Fenugreek Seed, Fennel Seed, Dry Mango Powder, Nigella Seed, Carom Seed and Asafoetida. Some people prefer to add Turmeric Powder and Red Chili powder in their Achari Masala but I prefer to not to add those instead I add them separately while cooking, as per requirement.
This time I have prepared around 500g of Achari Masala for making “Laal Mirch ka Benarasi Achar” with around 1 kg of large Red Chilies.
- Black Mustard Seed/ Shorshe Dana/ Kala Sarsoon: 100g (1 Cup)
- Fenugreek Seed/ Methi Dana/ Methi- 75g (2/3 Cup)
- Fennel Seed/Mouri/ Moti Saunf: 75g (6 tbsp.)
- Dry Mango Powder/ Amchur Powder: 100g (1 Cup)
- Nigella Seed/ Kalojire/ Kalonji: 1 Tbsp.
- Carom Seed/ Jowan/ Ajwain: 25g (3 Tbsp.)
- Asafoetida/ Hing: 1 ½ Tsp.
- Dry roast all the spices except Asafoetida and Dry Mango powder separately for around 1-2 minutes till aroma come from the spices. Spices can be roast all together but I prefer to roast them separately since they may require different time for roasting.
- Let the spices cooled completely.
- Now coarsely grind spices using a mixer or Shil-Nora or Silbatta. We don’t need superfine spice powder for Achari Masala.
- Now mix Dry Mango Powder and Asafoetida to the spice mixture.
- Achari Masala is ready and can be stored in an Airtight Container for around 2 months.