Dulce De Leche (pronounced "DOOL-se de LE-che,") is a very popular Latin American Dessert which is a combination of milk and sugar cooked until the sugar caramelised and changed the colour. The literal meaning of ”Dulce De Leche” is Candy of Milk. Dulce De Leche is mostly used as a spread in countries like Mexico, Paraguay, Peru, Argentina, Chile, Uruguay, Brazil, Colombia, Ecuador, Bolivia and Venezuela etc and it’s equally popular in Asian countries.
The process of making this mouth-watering dessert is easy but too much time-consuming! It would take around 5 hours in general, however, it can be easily prepared using a pressure cooker within an hour but with lots of precautions but the end result is a heavenly toffy....Here goes the recipe of dulce de leche in a pressure cooker!
- Making Dulce De Leche in a pressure cooker is very easy but requires patience and precautions.
- Don’t make any hole in the can
- Don’t open the lid when there’s any pressure within the cooker as well as the Can.
- It’s a pressure cooker cooking that involves a can containing milk with no hole in the can this means there would be pressure within the can too.
- Condensed Milk: 400g (I've used Milkmaid)
- [url href="https://kitchenofdebjani.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/Dulce-2Bde-2BLeche-2B-2BSteps.jpg"][/url]Take a pressure cooker and place the can of condensed milk within it. Don't punch any hole in the can.
- Put sufficient water in the pressure cooker (1 litre or so) to completely cover the can and till ⅔rd of the cooker but don't overfill the cooker.
- Put the lid of the cooker and place the whistle/weight cap and place on high heat till the cooker starts to whistle.
- After one whistle lowers the heat and cook for 20-30 minutes depending on your taste. If you want your Dulce De Leche thicker and darker you need to cook for a longer time and if you want it to a bit soft and lighter in colour you need to cook it for a shorter time but not less than 20 minutes.
- I prefer to cook for 25 minutes or so.
- Now turn off the heat and don't touch the cooker till the pressure drops* (*Don’t even move the cooker*) and the opening in this moment can cause severe burning. What I do is after turning off the heat I keep the cooker as it is with the lid for 2 hours.
- After that remove the lid of the cooker and take the can out of the cooker and cool the can again at room temperature for 30 minutes without opening the can cover.
- Now refrigerate the can for few hours and enjoy the dulce de leche.
- Category: Dessert
- Cuisine: American