Cooked with the fresh leaves of Jute, Pat Shaker Jhol aka Pat Patar Jhol is a quintessential Bengali clear soup which is vegan as well as gluten-free.
- 1 bunch of Jute leaves
- 2 Green Chillies
- 3 cloves of Garlic
- 1 tsp. Salt
- 3 Tbsp. Mustard Oil
- 3 Dry Red Chillies
- 1 Tsp. Panch Phoron aka Bengali five Spices
- Separate fresh and clean leaves from the bunch of jute leaves.
- Around 150g of Jute leaves are needed to make Jute leave soup for 4.
- Make a bunch of the separated leaves and chop those roughly. Likewise, cut remaining leaves,
- Soak the chopped leaves in water for 5 minutes and after that wash the leaves 2-3 times under running water.
- Take 3 cloves of Garlic and remove the skin and roughly chop the garlic.
- I use a deep-bottom pan (Dekchi) to boil the greens.
- Add 1 Liter of water and bring it to a boil on high flame.
- While boiling the water, add 1 Tsp. Salt to it.
- Add chopped Jute green as well.
- Mix and then boil the greens for 10 minutes on medium flame.
- Meanwhile, prepare the tempering.
- Heat 3 Tbsp. Mustard Oil in a pan.
- Once heated, temper the oil with 1 Tsp. Bengal Panch Phoron.
- Add 3 Red Chillies as well to the tempering.
- Now add chopped Garlic as well.
- Cook for a minute; the mixture will emit an amazing aroma.
- Now add the tempering to the Boiling Greens (yes, while you are making the tempering, the boiling will continue).
- Keep boiling for 10 more minutes.
- Once done, the greens will be a bit slurry-like.
- Add a cup of water to maintain consistency.
- The texture should be runny.
- While boiling I have added 2 Green Chillies.
- Once done, serve Paat Shaker Jhol with steamed rice and enjoy your portion of comfort meal.
- This is a very simple Bengali vegan and gluten-free clear soup recipe with limited spices.
- Here' presenting my iron and a protein-rich immunity-boosting platter of Gorom Bhat, Pat Patar Jhol, and Pat Patar Bora.
- You can reduce the amount of Mustard oil and can completely skip it.
- Same applies to Red chillies.
- Category: Side Dish
- Method: cooking
- Cuisine: Bengali
- Serving Size: 150ml
- Calories: 116
- Sugar: 0.4g
- Sodium: 597mg
- Fat: 11.6g
- Saturated Fat: 1.3g
- Carbohydrates: 2.7g
- Fiber: 1.9g
- Protein: 1.2g
- Cholesterol: 0mg
Keywords: Pat shaker jhol recipe, pat patar jhol recipe, bengali vegan recipe, bengali gluten-free recipe, debjanir rannaghar