Magur Macher Rosha is a delightful and comforting Bengali fish curry that is cooked using Asian catfish, also known as Magur Mach, and potato chunks. This dish is a staple in many Bengali homes
- 3 Magur Mach/ Cat Fish (Medium-size; cut into three pieces each)
- 3 Potato
- 2 Onion
- 1 Tomato
- 3 Green chili
To marinate fish
- 1 Tsp. Turmeric Powder
- 1 Tsp. Salt
- 2 Tbsp. Mustard Oil
To make the spice mix:
- 1 Tbsp. Garlic Paste
- 1 Tbsp. Ginger Paste
- 1 Tsp. Kashmiri Red Chili Powder
- 1/2 Tsp. Turmeric Powder
- 1 Tsp. Cumin Powder
- 1 Tsp. Coriander Powder
- 1 Tsp. Salt or to taste
- 1 Tsp. Sugar
- 1 Tsp. Bengali Garam Masala Powder
- 1.5 Tbsp. Mustard Oil
- 1 Bay Leaf
- 2 Dry Red Chilli
- 5 Tbsp. Mustard Oil
- Marinate Magur Mach with 1 Tsp. Turmeric Powder and 1 Tsp. Salt as well.
- Add around 2 Tbsp. Mustard Oil and mix that as well.
- Now take Two Onion and remove the skin and chop.
- Peel the skin of 3 Potatoes and cut the Potatoes into Wedges.
- Roughly chop a Tomato and also slice a few Green Chilies.
- Now make a thick paste of Garlic Paste, Ginger Paste, Kashmiri Red Chili Powder, Turmeric Powder, Cumin Powder, Coriander Powder, Salt, Sugar, and Bengali Garam Masala Powder.
- Add 1 Tbsp. Mustard oil to this mixture to make the paste.
- Heal 5 Tbsp. Mustard Oil in a Pan till the oil changes color.
- Now fry the marinated fish on medium flame.
- Once fried, strain from the pan.
- Once the fish is fried you can separate some oil to make the curry less oily.
- Do not over-fry the fishes. You may refer to the Magur Macher Rosha Recipe video of mine for the texture.
- Now fry Potato Wedges.
- While frying, sprinkle 1/4 Tsp. each of Turmeric Powder and Salt.
- Keep the flame low and fry till the potatoes are 80% cooked and then stain from the pan.
- Temper remaining oil with 1 Bay Leaf and 1 Dry Red Chili.
- Add chopped Onion and Cook on low flame till the onion changes color to pink.
- Now add chopped Tomatoes and Cook till the tomatoes melt.
- Add little salt while cooking,
- Cook on low flame till the mixture releases oil from the edges.
- Now add 1 cup of water to the mixture and Cook for 2 Minutes on Low flame.
- Add slices of green chilies and 1/3 cup water and keep cooking.
- Finally, add 1 more cup of water.
- Once the water started boiling, add fried potato wedges and Cook for around 5 minutes.
- Cover the Pan with a lid and cook for 2 minutes.
- Open the Lid and add 1 cup of water. By this time most of the water will evaporate.
- Now add fried fish and mix with a spatula.
- Boil for around 3-4 minutes.
- Magur Macher Rosha will be ready by this time! Serve it hot with steamed rice.
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 30 mins
- Category: Fish
- Method: Cooking
- Cuisine: Bengali
- Serving Size: 200g
- Calories: 419
- Sugar: 5.6g
- Sodium: 773mg
- Fat: 18.5g
- Saturated Fat: 2.8g
- Carbohydrates: 27.1g
- Fiber: 3.8g
- Protein: 21.1g
- Cholesterol: 81mg
Keywords: benglai magur macher rosha recipe, magur mach recipe, magur macher jhol recipe, debjanir rannaghar