Ilish Shukto is a Bengali-style Hilsa Fish and veggie curry flavored with Randhuni and five spices. This is different from the general Shuto.
- 4 pieces Hilsa Fish/ Ilish Mach (including of the fish head and Tail)
- 2 Bitter gourd
- 3 Potato
- 1 Plantain
- 1 Sweet potato
- 1 Drumstick
- 1 Eggplant
- 1 Tsp. Panch phoron (whole)
- 1 Tsp. Panch phoron (powder)
- 1 Tsp. Randhuni/ Celery Seed
- 2 Bay leaf
- 1 Tsp. Turmeric Powder
- 1 Tbsp. Mustard paste
- 1 Tbsp. Ginger paste
- 1 Tbsp. Poppyseed paste
- 1 Tbsp. Sugar
- 1 Tsp Salt or to taste
- 3 Tbsp. Mustard oil
- 150ml Milk
- 1 Tbsp. Ghee
- Marinate Hilsa chunks (head, tail, and pieces) with salt and half of the turmeric powder and then to leave for 10 mins.
- Cut the veggies into long strips after peeling the skin (potato, plantain, sweet potato, drumstick).
- Cut the bitter gourd and eggplant with the skin on. These two need to be marinated with salt and turmeric powder.
- Heat mustard oil in a deep bottom pan.
- Shallow fry fish chunks from both side. 30 seconds from both sides is enough.
- Fry Head and tail for extra time till those are properly fried.
- Now shallow fry the veggies one by one. Potato, sweet potato, and Plantain require extra frying time.
- Temper remaining oil with 2 bay leaves, whole 5 spices aka Panch Foron and Radhuni.
- Now add ginger paste followed by mustard paste and poppy seed paste.
- Cook for a minute or two by adding 1 Tbsp. of water.
- Add Salt and Sugar and give a thorough mix.
- Now add 1 tsp of powdered 5 spices, and cook for a minute or two.
- Add milk and 3 cups of water and bring it to boil upon adding salt and sugar.
- Finally add fried Potato, Sweet Potato, and Plantain and cook until those soften.
- Add Drumstick, Fried Eggplant, and Fried Bitter gourd followed by the fried fish chunks.
- Cook on low flame for 5-7 minutes by covering the pan with a lid.
- If required add some more water.
- Once done add Ghee and switch the flame off after mixing it.
- You may cook Ilish Shukto without using the Head and tail, however, these two enhance the flavor.
Bitter Gourd balances the flavor obviously is optional.
- Turmeric powder, needless to say, is optional.
- Ghee and milk are optional as well if you are planning to cook a low-calorie and flat version of the dish.
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 20 mins
- Category: Side Dish
- Method: cooking
- Cuisine: Bengali
- Serving Size: 100g
- Calories: 384
- Sugar: 16.9g
- Sodium: 808mg
- Fat: 9.8g
- Saturated Fat: 2.9g
- Carbohydrates: 49.3g
- Fiber: 7.8g
- Protein: 25.9g
- Cholesterol: 52mg
Keywords: ilish shukto recipe, bengali ilish mach recipe, shukto recipe, debjanir rannaghar