Jhinge Aloo Chingrir Tel Jhol is a delightful Bengali recipe that combines fresh prawns, Ridge Gourd (also known as Jhinge in Bengali or Turai in Hindi), and Potato slices to make a comforting curry.
- 500g Bagda Chingri/ Tiger Prawns (use medium size, around 30 per kg)
- 1 Jhinge/ Ridge Gourd
- 1 Potato (big)
- 4 Green Chili
- 1 Tbsp. Garlic Paste
To Marinate Prawns:
- 1/2 Tsp. Turmeric Powder
- 1/2 Tsp. Red Chili Powder
- 1/2 Tsp. Salt
- 1 Tbsp. Mustard Oil
To marinate Veggies
- 1/4 Tsp. Turmeric Powder
- 1/4 Tsp. Salt
- 1 Tsp. Nigella Seed/ Kalojire
- 6 Tbsp. Mustard Oil
- Marinate 500g of cleaned prawns with 1 Tsp. of salt and 1/2 Tsp. turmeric powder and red chili powder as well.
- Stir in 1 Tbsp. of mustard oil, and leave the marinade for 15 minutes.
- Cut one potato and one ridge gourd into wedges after removing their skins.
- Then add 1/4 Tsp. of salt and 1/4 Tsp. of turmeric powder to the vegetables.
- Heat 5 Tbsp. of mustard oil in a pan.
- Fry 3-4 prawns at a time, keeping the flame at a medium level.
- Cook each side of the prawns for 30-45 seconds, and do not over-fry them as this will make them chewy.
- Once the prawns are done, set the remaining marinade aside.
- Add the potato wedges to the same oil.
- Fry for 3 minutes while stirring
- Then add the ridge gourd wedges and mix them together.
- Heat some oil in a pan and add 1/2 tsp of Nigella seeds or Kalojire.
- You can also do this step after removing the veggies from the pan, although I don't prefer this because it uses more oil.
- Push the veggies to one side of the pan, so that the oil is visible in the space created
- Next, add 1 Tbsp of garlic paste and mix it into the oil, stirring continuously for a minute until the garlic is fully cooked.
- Then, mix the veggies back in with the garlic-infused oil and the remaining marinade from the prawns.
- Cook for a minute, stirring constantly.
- Pour in 1 cup of water and stir again, then add 3-4 green chillis.
- Boil the mixture on a high flame.
- Add the fried prawns and another 1/4 cup of water as well.
- Cook for two minutes, then stir in 1 Tbsp of mustard oil.
- Your Jhinge Chingrir Jhol is now ready!
- This comforting Bengali Prawn Curry is usually served with steamed rice.
- Instead of Tiger Prawns, you can use shrimp or Scampy.
- If needed, increase or decrease spices.
- You can replace mustard oil with other oils however in that case you will miss the signature flavor of mustard oil.
- Prep Time: 10 Min
- Cook Time: 15 Min
- Category: Side Dish
- Method: Cooking
- Cuisine: Bengali
- Serving Size: 100g
- Calories: 257
- Sugar: 1.3g
- Sodium: 488mg
- Fat: 17.4g
- Saturated Fat: 1.9g
- Carbohydrates: 8.1g
- Fiber: 1.4g
- Protein: 16.9g
- Cholesterol: 0mg
Keywords: Jhinge Chingrir Tel Jhol, Jhinge Aloo Chingrir Tel Jhol, Chingrir Jhol recipe, bagda chingri recipe, bengali prawn curry recipe, debjanir rannaghar