Mangsha Tarkari is a traditional Mutton Curry from Odisha. This is a runny meat curry with Potato chunks.
- Mutton: 1kg
- Potato: 5
- Onion: 500g
- Tomato: 2
- Ginger Paste: 1 Tbsp.
- Garlic Paste: 1.5 Tbsp.
- Plain Curd: 150g
- Mustard Oil: 5 Tbsp.
- Panch Phoron/ Bengali five spices: 1 Tsp.
- Dry Red Chilli: 3
- Bay Leaf: 2
- Turmeric Powder: 1 Tsp.
- Red Chilli Powder: 1 Tsp.
- Garam Masala ( 1 Cinnamon, 2 Clove, 1 Cardamom, 3 Black Pepper)
- Salt: To taste
- [url href="undefined"][/url]
- I have used curry cut mutton with fat in this recipe.
- Wash and pat dry mutton chunks.
- Marinate Mutton with half of the turmeric powder, and half of the Red chili powder along with 2 Tbsp. Mustard oil preferably for 8 hours.
- Dry roast Garam masala spices and grind to make a coarse powder.
- Cut Onion into thin slices.
- Wash and cut Potatoes into halves without removing the skin. Keeping the skin is optional however, this gives an earthy flavor to the curry.
- Heat 2 Tbsp. Oil in a pan and fry the potatoes after sprinkling little salt until those turn golden in color.
- Strain the potatoes from oil.
- Temper remaining oil with Bengali Five Spices, dry red Chili and also Bay leaf.
- Add onion slices and cook till the onion turned translucent in color.
- Now add chopped tomatoes followed by Ginger and Garlic paste.
- At this point add a little salt and cook till oil separates from the mixture.
- Add remaining Turmeric Powder, Red Chili Powder and half of the Garam masala Powder.
- Now beat the curd and add it to the mixture and cook for a minute or so.
- Transfer the mixture in a heavy bottom pan and add marinated mutton.
- Mix thoroughly and cook over low flame.
- You do not need to add water.
- Keep the flame on the lower side.
- Check spices and cook the mutton by covering the pan with a lid.
- The mutton will start releasing moisture after a few minutes.
- Cook for around 20 minutes.
- Add fried Potatoes followed by 3 Cups of Boiling Water.
- Cook on low flame until mutton is soft.
- Add boiling water in between to maintain the consistency of the gravy.
- It will take around 40 minutes to cook the mutton.
- Once done add remaining Garam Masala Powder and mix.
- Serve Mangsha Tarkari hot with steamed rice.
Keeping the skin of the potatoes is optional. I prefer keeping the skin.
Tomatoes are optional.
Adjust spices based preference.
- Prep Time: 8 hours
- Cook Time: 90 mins
- Category: Mutton
- Serving Size: 150g
- Calories: 624
- Sugar: 7.4g
- Sodium: 547mg
- Fat: 28.3g
- Saturated Fat: 7.4g
- Carbohydrates: 38g
- Fiber: 5.8g
- Protein: 52.8g
- Cholesterol: 155mg