Juicy, soft and flavorful, this Orange and Herb Roasted Chicken and vegetables recipe is very easy to make and ideal for lunch/ dinner
- Whole Chicken (with Skin): 1 (Around 700g dressed chicken)
- Orange: 2
- Baby Potato: 5
- Baby Carrot: 5
- Zucchini: 1
- Broccoli: 1
- Mushroom: 100g
- Bell Pepper: 1
- Shallot/ Mini Onion: 5
- Parsley Curls: a few
- Rosemary: a few
- Lemon Grass: 3 sticks
- Thyme: 1 Tsp. (I did not have fresh)
- Garlic:10 (Minced) + 10 (peeled)
- Salt: to taste
- Lime: 1 (Big)
- Black Pepper Powder: 1 tbsp.
- Olive Oil: 2 Tbsp.
- Butter: 1 Tbsp.
- Onion Powder: 1 Tsp.
- [url href="https://kitchenofdebjani.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/12/Making-Herb-Roasted-Chicken-and-Veggies.jpg"][/url]
- Wash and pat dry the chicken with the skin on.
- Make a paste with Black Pepper Powder, little salt, onion powder, minced garlic and also Lime juice and rub it over the chicken and also inside the inner cavity.
- Leave it for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, wash veggies and cut Bell Pepper, zucchini and broccoli into big chunks.
- Wash and cut Mushrooms as well.
- You do not need to cut or peel the Potatoes or baby Carrot.
- Remove the Onion skin.
- Meanwhile pre-heat the oven in 180 degrees C for 10 minutes.
- Heat Olive Oil in a pan and saute the veggies for 5 minutes along with salt and black pepper.
- Now take an oven-safe tray and place the chicken in the middle.
- Cut Oranges into halves and squeeze the juice.
- Fill the chicken cavity with half of the Orange rinds along with parsley, rosemary, lemongrass, and thyme.
- Tie both the legs with the help of lemongrass.
- Now place all the veggies in the tray.
- There will be some gravy in the tray coming from the veggies. Pour that over the chicken and veggies.
- Pour the juice over the chicken and veggies and place the rinds along with the veggies.
- Now place the tray in the middle rack of the oven and slow-roast in 150-160 degrees C for 1.5 Hours.
- For initial twenty minutes roast the chicken by covering the tray with a piece of aluminum foil.
- After every fifteen minutes brush the chicken and veggies with melted butter and keep the roasting on and remove it after that.
- Once done switch the oven off.
- Cut the knot and remove the spice from the cavity and serve the roast hot with the veggies.
- There will be ample of moisture in the tray. Serve the gravy as it is or thicken it over the stove before serving separately.
If Shallot is not available; cut a normal onion into four pieces and use.
Same is applicable to baby potatoes and baby carrot.
If fresh lemongrass is not available use kitchen twig to tie the chicken. However, lemongrass enhances the flavor a lot.
I prefer small Chicken instead of a bigger one as I have a family unit of OTG at home and also small chicken (around 750g) makes the roast way better tender and juicy.
- Category: Chicken
- Cuisine: Continental
- Serving Size: 150g
- Calories: 496
- Sugar: 11.8g
- Sodium: 638mg
- Fat: 19g
- Saturated Fat: 5.2g
- Carbohydrates: 39g
- Fiber: 7.1g
- Protein: 46.8g
- Cholesterol: 131mg