Phulkopir Roast (Bengali Roasted Cauliflower!)
A Bengali-style Cauliflower preparation where the Cauliflower is shallow-fried before cooking with the spices is known as Phulkopir Roast.
- Author: Debjani Chatterjee Alam
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 20 mins
- Total Time: 30 mins
- Yield: 4 People 1x
- Category: Side Dish
- Method: Cooking
- Cuisine: Bengali
- 3 Phulkopi / Cauliflower (without leaves)
- 1/2 cup Green Peas (optional)
- 2 Green Chilli
- 1 Tbsp. Ginger Paste
- 2 Tbsp. Tomato Paste
- 150g Curd
- 20 Cashew Nut
- 1 Tbsp. Melon Seed / Mogoj dana
- 1 Tbsp. Poppy Seed/ Posto/ Khaskhash
- 10 Raisin/ Kishmish
- 4 Tbsp. Mustard Oil
- 1 Tsp. Ghee
- 1 Bay Leaf
- 2 Dried Red Chili
- 1-inch Cinnamon Stick
- 1 Black Cardamom
- 3 Green Cardamom
- 1/2 Tsp. Cumin Powder
- 1 Tsp. Turmeric Powder
- 1 Tsp. Kashmiri Red Chilli Powder
- 1 Tsp. Sugar: 1 Tsp.
- 1 Tsp. Salt or to taste
- 1/2 Tsp. Garam Masala Powder
- 1/4 Tsp. Asafoetida
- Wash Cauliflower several times and cut into big chunks. You may refer to the picture.
- Sprinkle salt and turmeric powder over the cauliflower chunks and rub wisely.
- Soak ten Cashew nuts along with Poppyseed, Melon Seed and green Chili in hot water for ten minutes.
- Make a smooth paste of the above-mentioned ingredients after discarding the water.
- Now heat the oil in a flat bottom pan; preferably non-stick.
- Shallow-fry Cauliflower until those turn light brown in color.
- Strain cauliflower chunks from oil.
- Temper remaining Oil with Bay Leaf, Dried Red Chili, Cinnamon Stick, Black Cardamom, and also Green Cardamom.
- Reduce the heat and add ginger paste followed by tomato paste and cook until oil comes out from the sides.
- Now add the curd after beating it for a while as well as the nut and seed paste and mix thoroughly.
- Add little water at this point and cook till the moisture reduces and the raw aroma goes away.
- At this point add Cumin Powder, Turmeric Powder, Kashmiri Red Chilli Powder, Sugar, half of the garam masala powder, and also Salt.
- Mix thoroughly and cook for a minute or so until the mixture changes color and turns into a reddish mess.
- Add Green Peas and raisin and mix lightly.
- Now add fried Cauliflowers and lightly fold into the spice mix.
- Cover the pan with a lid and cook on low flame for 10 minutes.
- Lightly fold in between.
- Add Ghee and remaining Garam Masala and lightly fold and then switch the flame off.
- For consistency please refer to the picture. You don't need much gravy in this dish.
- Serve it hot with your choice of carbohydrates such as steamed rice or Gorom Luchi or Pulao.
- I prefer to microwave cauliflower chunks for 5 minutes before frying those.
- Do not add water while cooking Phulkopir Roast.
- This dish does not call for gravy.
- The cauliflowers must be fried properly; well-cooked yet crunchy.
- Green peas are however optional but give added flavor and color to the dish.
- Serving Size: 100g
- Calories: 328
- Sugar: 14.3g
- Sodium: 394mg
- Fat: 20.5g
- Trans Fat: 3.6g
- Carbohydrates: 31g
- Fiber: 9.5g
- Protein: 9.9g
- Cholesterol: 5mg
Recipe Card powered by