Chicken Chaap aka Chicken Chanp is a famous chicken side widely available in Kolkata and other parts of West Bengal and Bangladesh. This is a Mughal-influenced rich chicken delicacy.
- Author: Debjani Chatterjee Alam
- Prep Time: 8 hours
- Cook Time: 45 mins
- Total Time: 8 hours 45 mins
- Yield: 4 People 1x
- Category: Side Dish
- Method: Cooking
- Cuisine: Mughlai
- 4 pieces Chicken Chunk (around 1 kg)
- 500g Hung Curd: 500g
- 5 Tbsp. Onion Paste: 5 Tbsp.
- 1 Tbsp. Ginger Paste: 1 Tbsp.
- 1.5 Tbsp. Garlic Paste: 1.5 Tbsp.
- 1 Tbsp. Char Magaz/ Mellon seed paste: 1 Tbsp.
- 1.5 Tbsp. Red Chili Powder: 1.5 Tsp.
- 3 Tbsp. Chatu/ Sattu/ Gram Flour: 3 Tbsp.
- 1 Tsp. Garam Masala Powder: 1 Tsp.
- 1 Tsp. Turmeric Powder: 1 Tsp.
- 1 Tsp. Sugar: 1 Tsp. (optional)
- 1 tsp. Salt or to taste
- 1 inch Cinnamon Stick
- 6 Clove
- 1 Mace aka Javitri
- 3 Green Cardamom
- 1 Black Cardamom
- 1/2 cup Saffron soaked Milk (optional)
- 1 Tsp. Keora Water
- 2 Tbsp. Ghee
- 5 Tbsp. Oil (I have used Mustard Oil)
- Wash and pat dry chicken chunks.
- Make slits using a knife.
- Now in a bowl mix Hung Curd, Onion Paste, Ginger Paste, Garlic Paste, Red Chili Powder,
- Mellon seed paste, Gram flour, Garam Masala Powder, Turmeric Powder Sugar, and 1 Tsp of Oil as well.
- Coat the chicken chunks with this mixture properly and cover the bowl with cling film or lid and refrigerate for 8 hours.
- At the time of cooking, add salt to the chicken and mix thoroughly.
- Remove chicken pieces from the marinade for frying.
- Heat the oil in a deep bottom pan and start frying chicken pieces one by one keeping the flame low from both sides.
- It will take around 5 minutes to fry per piece.
- Once done, add Ghee to the pan having the remaining oil, and heat properly.
- Temper the oil with Cinnamon Stick, Clove, Mace, Green Cardamom, and Black Cardamom.
- Add the remaining marinade and start "broiling" the same without adding water.
- Keep the flame on the higher side and stir continuously for around 3 minutes.
- Add fried chicken and start cooking on low flame without covering the pan.
- Cook from both side for around 5 minutes or until chicken soften but will remain in shape. Do not overcook the chicken.
- Add Saffron soaked milk and kewra water and give a thorough mix.
- Switch the flame off once the gravy thickens and oil comes out from the edges.
- Serve Chicken Chaap aka Chicken Chanp hot with Biryani or Indian bread.
- You may substitute mustard oil with vegetable oil.
- The entire dish can be cooked in ghee if Calorie is not what you are considering.
sugar is optional, however, balances the flavors.
- Adjust salt and chili powder as per taste.
- Serving Size: 250g
- Calories: 603
- Sugar: 13.5g
- Sodium: 286mg
- Fat: 17.5g
- Saturated Fat: 8g
- Carbohydrates: 23.3g
- Fiber: 4.2g
- Protein: 82.5g
- Cholesterol: 218mg
Keywords: Chicken chaap recipe, chicken chap recipe, chicken chanp recipe kolkata, kolkata mughlai food, debjanir ranaghar
Recipe Card powered by