Bhangachora Shukto aka Bhangachora Torkari is a Bengali no onion no garlic mishmash prepared with several veggies and fish-head along with prawns and small fish (optional).
- Fish-head: 1
- Small Prawns: 100g (de-veined and cleaned)
- Mourola Mach/ Small Freshwater fish: 100g (cleaned) (optional)
- Potato: 2
- Eggplant: 1
- Ridge Gourd/ Jhinge: 1
- Pumpkin: 150g
- Plantain: 1 (optional)
- Green Chili: 2 (optioal)
- Ginger paste: 1 Tbsp.
- Ghee: 1 Tbsp.
- Mustard Oil: 3 Tbsp.
- Turmeric Powder: 1 Tsp.
- Panchphoron Powder: 1 Tsp. (optional)
- Sugar: 1 Tbsp.
- Salt: to taste
- Randhuni/ Celery Seed: 1 Tsp.
- Methi Seed/ Fenugreek Seed: 1/2 Tsp.
- Bay Leaf: 2
- [url href="https://kitchenofdebjani.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/08/making-bhangachora-shukto.jpg"][/url]
- Wash fish-head, prawns and also the small fishes.
- Marinate those with half of the Turmeric powder and salt.
- Cut the veggies into Strips/ cubes. I have cut only the pumpkin into cubes.
- Now heat the 2 Tbsp. oil and start frying the fish head on low temperature.
- Fry the fish-head from both side.
- Now add small fishes and fry those also along with the head.
- Using a ladle broke the fish-head.
- lastly, add prawns to the pan and shallow fry for a minute.
- Transfer the content from the pan to a bowl.
- Now heat 1 Tbsp. oil in the same pan and temper the oil with Randhuni, Fenugreek Seed and Bay leaf.
- Add Ginger paste along with a Tbsp. of water and cook on low flame.
- Now add all the vegetables followed by little turmeric powder, salt, sugar and Panchphoron powder also.
- Mix using a ladle and cover the pan with a lid and cook on low flame for 3-4 minutes.
- Add 2-3 cups of water to cover the veggies and cover the pan with lid again.
- Cook on low flame until all the veggies are well-cooked and absorb 2/3 water content.
- Using a spatula or ladle mash the veggies a bit.
- Now add fried fish0head, small fishes, and prawns and mix.
- Add chopped green chilis (optional).
- Cook until the content is semi-thick.
- Add Ghee and after mixing properly, switch the flame off.
- Serve it hot with steamed rice to start the meal.
Panchphoron Powder aka Bengali five spice powder is optional.
You may skip plantain as well.
Mourola mach is optional but gives an amazing flavor to the dish. If available I advise it to use.
I have used the head of a big size Katla Fish. You may use the head of any big freshwater fish.
Green Chili is optional as well.
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 20 mins
- Category: Side Dish
- Cuisine: Bengali
- Serving Size: 100g
- Calories: 212
- Sugar: 11.2g
- Sodium: 739mg
- Fat: 4.2g
- Saturated Fat: 2.3g
- Carbohydrates: 35.5g
- Fiber: 5.1g
- Protein: 10.7g
- Cholesterol: 14mg