A comforting form of Begun Bhaja, Gol Muchmuche Begun Bhaja goes amazingly with Rice-based dishes.
- Eggplant/ Aubergine/ Begun/ Baingan: 1
- Turmeric Powder: 1 Tsp.
- Red Chili Powder: 1/2 Tsp.
- Sugar: 1/4 Tsp.
- Salt: 1/2 tsp.
- Mustard Oil: 100 ml (for deep frying)
- [url href="https://kitchenofdebjani.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/07/Begun-Bhaja-Making-2.jpg"][/url]
- Wash Eggplant under running water.
- Cut the stem and discard it.
- Now cut the eggplant into thick rounds as shown in the picture
- One medium-size Eggplant to be cut into 4-6 long medium-thick portions.
- Now sprinkle Turmeric Powder, Red Chili Powder, Sugar, and salt over the Eggplant and rub the spices.
- Leave the marinated eggplant for 15 minutes before frying.
- Heat Oil in a pan and then keep the flame medium high.
- Now start frying the eggplants from both sides until crisp and light brown in color.
- Strain from Oil and serve Lomba Dantiwala Begun Bhaja with hot steamed Rice and Dal
I don't use wheat flour while making Gol Begun Bhaja. The thickness of the Eggplant is enough to get the desired crunchiness without adding the flour.
Red Chili Powder is optional however, I prefer to use it to balance the flavor. In several families, they don't use chili powder.
Sugar is optional, however, caramelized sugar makes the Begun Bhaja more crunchy and also balances the flavor.
- Prep Time: 5 mins
- Cook Time: 10 mins
- Category: Side Dish
- Cuisine: Bengali
- Serving Size: 150g
- Calories: 280
- Sugar: 3.7g
- Sodium: 297mg
- Fat: 28.3g
- Saturated Fat: 3.3g
- Carbohydrates: 7.5g
- Fiber: 4.3g
- Protein: 1.2g
- Cholesterol: 0mg