Kumror Chokka, also known as Kumror Chakka, is a popular Bengali dish cooked with Pumpkin and potatoes that is famous for its unique blend of flavors and traditional preparation style.
- 500g Pumpkin
- 4 Potato
- 1 Tbsp. Ginger Paste
To boil Chickpeas
- 50g Black Chickpeas / Kala Chana/ Chola
- 1 Tsp. Salt
- 1 Tsp. Panch Phoron/ Bengali Five Spices
- 3 Dry Red Chili
- 4 Bay Leaf
- 1 Tsp.Panch Phoron/ Bengali Five Spices
- 2 Tsp. Sugar
- 1 Tsp. Red Chili Powder
- 2 Tsp. Turmeric Powder
- 1 Tsp. Bengali Garam Masala Powder
- 1 Tsp. Bengali Bhaja Moshla
- 2 Tsp. Salt or to taste
- 4 Tbsp. Mustard Oil
- 1 Tbsp. Ghee (can be substituted with Oil)
- SoaBlack Chickpeas / Kala Chana/ Chola overnight in water.
- Discard the water and boil Chola with 1 Tsp. Salt in a pressure cooker on low flame with the whistle on until 3 whistles come.
- Open the lid when the pressure drops and discard the water.
- Peel and cut Pumpkin and Potatoes into 1" cubes (as shown in the picture).
- Make coarse powder of 1 tsp. Panch Phoron.
- Now heat the oil in a deep bottom pan and temper it with 1 Tsp. whole Panch Phoron, Red Chili, and Bay Leaves as well.
- Add Potatoes and fry on medium flame until potatoes soften.
- It will take around 5 minutes.
- Now add 1 Tsp. Salt.
- Add 1 Tsp. Turmeric Powder.
- Cook for 2 minutes.
- Now add pumpkin chunks and cook after covering with a lid for 5 minutes on medium flame.
- Now add 1 Tbsp. Ginger Paste and cook for a minute.
- At this point add panch phoron powder.
- Add 1 Tsp. each of Turmeric Powder, Red Chili Powder, and Salt and mix.
- Add 2 Tsp. Sugar and mix it as well.
- Now add boiled chickpeas and cover the pan with a lid and cook on low flame for around 3-4 minutes.
- No need to add water.
- Cook till the veggies soften but the shape remains the same.
- Stir in between.
- Once done, add ghee and Bengali Garam Masala Powder and Bhaja Moshla
- Give Kumror Chakka a generous mix.
- Serve it hot with Luchi, or Paratha, or Roti.
- Typically, I soak approximately 100 grams of Kalo Chola, or black chickpeas, to have some leftovers for creating a chana Chaat or mixing with muri. However, the amount you choose to soak is ultimately up to you, depending on other dishes you may want to prepare.
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 20 mins
- Category: Side Dish
- Method: Cooking
- Cuisine: Bengali
- Serving Size: 100g
- Calories: 313
- Sugar: 7.2g
- Sodium: 954mg
- Fat: 15.1g
- Saturated Fat: 3.2g
- Carbohydrates: 41.1g
- Fiber: 8.2g
- Protein: 6.1g
- Cholesterol: 7mg
Keywords: Kumror Chokka Recipe, Kumror Chakka Recipe, Pumpkin recipe, kaddu recipe, petha recipe, debjanir rannaghar