A Mash prepared with Hilsa Fishtail, from Mawaghat, Bangladesh, Ilish Macher Bhorta is a unique take on the process of cooking Ilish Mach
- Ilish Macher Leja/ Tail of Hilsa Fish: 4-5 (try to use the tail from big fish to reduce the labor)
- Onion: 5
- Green Chilli: 2-3
- Coriander Leave: a few
- Lemon Juice: 1 Tbsp.
- Whole Red Chili: 5-10 (depending on how hot you want your Ilish Macher Lejar Bhorta)
- Turmeric Powder: 1 Tbsp.
- Red Chilli Powder: 1 Tsp.
- Salt: to Taste
- Mustard Oil: 3 Tbsp. + 1 Tbsp.
- [url href="https://kitchenofdebjani.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/10/Ilish-Macher-Bhorta-1.jpg"][/url]
- Wash and clean Ilish Macher Lej or Fishtail.
- Rub Turmeric Powder, Red Chilli Powder:, and Salt to the chunks and leave for 15 minutes before frying.
- Heat 3 Tbsp. Oil in a pan and fry fish chunks till those turn crisp.
- Keep the oil remain in the pan as it is.
- Switch the flame off and wait till the fried fishes cooled down completely.
- Now take the Fried Fishtail and with patience remove all the bones from it so that you are having the meat separated.
- Now thin slice the Onions.
- Dry Roast the Red Chillis till those start emit the pungent aroma and switch the flame off.
- Once cooled down, make a coarse powder of the Roasted Red Chilli (refer the picture for consistency).
- Take the sliced Onion in a plate and start mixing those with Roasted Red Chilli Powder and some Salt till the onion started releasing moisture.
- Add lemon juice and mix thoroughly.
- Now add the Fish paste and mix again.
- Finally, add chopped Green Chilli, Chopped Coriander leaves 1 Tbsp. of raw mustard Oil and the remaining oil from the pan and mix again to complete the Bhorta.
- Serve Ilish Macher Bhorta with steamed rice.
- Category: Fish
- Cuisine: Bengali