A traditional Cake originally from Mumbai; Mawa cake with a bong twist! the cake is garnished with butter cream flavored with Bengal's famous Date Palm jaggery or Nolen Gur!
To make the Mawa Cupcake:
- All Purpose Flour: 170 g (1 + 1/4 Cup)
- Salt: 1/4 Tsp.
- Baking Powder: 1/2 Tsp.
- Green Cardamom: 5 (to make powder of the cardamom seed)
- Unsalted Butter: 100 g
- Powdered Sugar: 150 g (1 Cup)
- Mawa/ Dried Milk Solid: 150 g (1 + 1/4 Cup)
- Egg: 2 (at room temperature)
- Milk: 200 ml
- Cashew Halves: 10 g
To make the Nolen Gur Butter Cream:
- Unsalted Butter: 75 g
- Nolen Gur/ Date Palm Jaggery: 100 g
- Icing Sugar: 50 g
To make Mawa Cake:[url href="https://kitchenofdebjani.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/02/Making-of-Mawa-Cake-1-300x217.jpg"][/url]
- Pre-heat the oven in 180 degree c for 10 minutes.
- Take All Purpose Flour and shift it twice along with the baking powder and salt.
- Make a powder of Green Cardamom seed and mix the cardamom powder with the flour mix.
- Grate Mawa using a food grater and keep that aside. Mawa has to be at room temperature.
- Take unsalted butter at room temperature in a bowl and using a blended cream the butter.
- Add powdered sugar to butter and blend it for around 1 minute on medium speed to mix sugar properly with the butter.
- Now add grated Mawa to the mixture and using the blender mix it properly.
- Add 100 ml of milk to the mixture and blend it again and keep remaining milk aside.
- Now add two eggs at room temperature to the mixture and blend for 30 seconds to mix properly.
- Now add flour mixture in three batches to the Mawa mixture and using the blender mix until turn smooth.
- If found the mixture too sticky add the little milk to dilute it.
- Now line a muffin tin with cupcake liners and fill 2/3 of each cupcake liner with the batter and bake in 180-degree c for 18-20 minutes.
- Check in between especially after 15 minutes by inserting a toothpick in the middle of the cakes to check the doneness.
- It took me 20 minutes to bake the cakes.
- Take Mawa Cakes out of the oven and cool on wire rack.
To make the Nolen Gur Butter Cream and decorating Cupcakes:[url href="https://kitchenofdebjani.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/02/Decorating-Mawa-Cake-with-Nolen-Gur-Butter-Cream-300x300.jpg"][/url]
- Grate the slab of Nolen Gur / Patali Gur/ Date palm jaggery using a food grater.
- Both Nolen Gur and Butter have to be at room temperature for making the Gur flavored buttercream.
- Take Butter in a bowl and using hand blender cream it perfectly. It took me around 40 seconds to cream the butter.
- Now add grated Nolen Gur to the butter and using the blender mix it properly.
- Add icing sugar and blend again until the mixture turns creamy completely.
- Take the Nolen Gur Buttercream in a piping bag fitted with a nozzle of your choice.
- Start piping each Cupcake with desired shapes.
- Serve Mawa Cupcake with Nolen Gur Butter Cream Frosting either at room temperature or after refrigerating it for few hours.
Mawa Cupcakes are traditionally served without the frosting and taste awasome
- Category: Cake
- Cuisine: Indian