Karachi Halwa or Bombay Karachi Halwa is also known is an Indian dessert prepared with Corn Flour Halwa Ghee, Sugar, Nuts and Cardamom.
- Corn Flour: 1 Cup (150g)
- Sugar: 2/3 Cup (100g)
- Lemon Juice: 1 Tbsp.
- Cashew Nut: 20-25
- Green Cardamom: 4-5
- Food Colour: 2-3 drops (I have used AmeriColour’s Gel based color)
- Ghee: 3 Tbsp.
- Water: 2 + ½ Cup (450g)
- Chop Cashew nuts roughly and lightly toast those on a Pan for 2 minutes in medium flame and keep those aside.
- Make a powder of Green Cardamom Seed.
- Take little Ghee and grease a baking tray or plate for setting the Halwa.
- [url href="https://kitchenofdebjani.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/11/Karachi-Halwa-5.jpg"][/url]
- Take Corn Flour in a mixing bowl and add 2 Cups of water and mix properly.
- Add 2 drops of food coloring to the Corn Flour mixture and using a spoon mix properly.
- Now take Sugar along with ½ Cup of water in a non-stick deep bottomed pan.
- Start cooking on high flame till the sugar dissolve completely.
- Add Lemon juice to the Sugar Syrup to prevent crystallization of sugar
- The Sugar mixture needs to be cooked till it turns a bit thick.
- Now using a spoon mix the Corn Flour mixture again to avoid any lump formation.
- Now lower the flame and start adding the Corn Flour mix to the Sugar syrup in 2 batches.
- After adding a part of the Corn Flour mix stir the mixture.
- Add remaining mixture and start stirring continuously to avoid lump forming.
- It may take 2-3 minutes in low medium flame to thicken the Karachi Halwa and it will turn glossy and thick.
- Now add 1 Tbsp. of Ghee to the Halwa and mix vigorously and then add remaining Ghee followed by continuous stirring.
- Finally, add Cardamom Powder and roasted Cashew Nuts and give the Halwa a proper mix.
- Pour the Halwa into the greased Tray and leave it as it is for 1 hour to set the Karachi Halwa properly.
- Flip the plate to take the Halwa (it will have a texture of toffee) on an open plate.
- Cut into desired shapes and enjoy it either at room temperature or after refrigerating.
- [url href="https://kitchenofdebjani.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/10/Ice-Halwa.jpg"][/url]
Gel colors are quite expensive as compared to powdered food colors and powdered food colors can also be used and even food color can completely avoid.
In addition to Cashew Nut other dry fruits can also be added.
You can add more Ghee if prefer so.
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 15 mins
- Category: Sweet
- Cuisine: Indian