Bengali Papor er Dalna aka Papad Curry cooked with Potato chunks, a no onion no garlic delicacy that tastes awesome!
- 4 Masala Papad/ Papor
- 4 Potato
- 1 Tomato (Big size)
- 1 Tbsp. Ginger Paste
- 1 Bay Leaf
- 1 Dry Red Chili
- 1/2 Tsp. Asafoetida
- 1/2 Tsp. Whole Cumin Seed
- 1 Tsp. Cumin Powder
- 1/2 Tsp.Turmeric Powder
- 1 Tsp. Red Chili Powder (adjust according to taste)
- 1 Tsp. Sugar (adjust according to taste)
- 1 Tsp. Bengali Garam Masala Powder
- 1 Tsp. Salt or to taste
- 2 Tbsp. Mustard Oil
- 1 Tbsp. Ghee
- Wash and Peel Potatoes and then cut each Potato into two halves and then cut each half into three pieces.
- Make a Puree of Tomato.
- Heat Oil in a pan and fry Potato pieces till those turn golden brown in color. Strain fried potatoes from oil and keep those separated.
- Break each Papor/ Papad into four pieces and fry in the remaining oil. It will take 20 30 seconds to fry four pieces of Papad on high flame.
- Strain fried Papad from Oil.
- There will be some oil remaining in the pan and that is sufficient for the next level of cooking.
- Temper the Oil with Bay leaf, Dry Red Chili, and Whole Cumin seed, and wait till the tempering started crackling.
- Mix Asafoetida with 1 Tbsp. of water and add that directly to the tempering and mix properly.
- Now add pureed tomato to the tempering and start cooking on medium flame till the raw aroma of Tomato goes then add the ginger paste to the mixture and cook on a medium flame for 2 more minutes or till oil separates from the mixture.
- Mix Turmeric Powder, Red Chili Powder, and Cumin Powder with 1 Tbsp. water and make a thick paste add this paste to the pan and mix properly.
- Add Sugar and Salt in this stage and add 1 Tbsp. of water and then cook for 2 more minutes or till oil separates again.
- Add fried Potatoes to the spice mix and coat properly with the spices and add 1.5 Cups of Water to it.
- Cover the Pan with a Lid and cook until the Potatoes are cooked properly. It took me 7 minutes of cooking on medium flame. However, do check in between since cooking time varies with the type of potato.
- After the potatoes are done, adjust the water a bit, place fried Papad on the top of the potatoes and again cover the pan with the lid and cook for 3-4 minutes more.
- Open the lid and mix the gravy carefully, Papad will be softening in this stage completely.
- Add Garam Masala Powder and Ghee to the curry and cook for 2 minutes more.
- Papor er Dalna is served with runny gravy; so adjust the water level accordingly.
- Serve it hot with steamed rice; Papor er Dalna goes well with Roti or Paratha as well.
- I prefer to use normal Masala Papad while making this curry.
- Adding Sugar is optional but Bong style Papad Curry is kind of incomplete without Sugar.
- Instead of Mustard Oil, you can use refined vegetable oil.
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 20 mins
- Category: Side
- Method: Cooking
- Cuisine: Bengali
- Serving Size: 100g
- Calories: 215
- Sugar: 2.3g
- Sodium: 830mg
- Fat: 3.6g
- Saturated Fat: 1.9g
- Carbohydrates: 38.5g
- Fiber: 7.4g
- Protein: 8.3g
- Cholesterol: 7mg
Keywords: Papor er dalna recipe, papor er torkari recipe, bengali papad curry recipe, debjanir rannaghar