Famous Indian Milk-based drink Thandai recipe
- Milk: 1 Litre (I have used Full Cream Milk)
- Sugar/ Chini: 6 Tbsp.
For making the Thandai Paste:
- Almond/ Badam: 50
- Cashew Nut: 10
- Pistachios/ Pista: 10
- Melon Seed/ Magajdana: 2 Tbsp.
- Poppy Seed/ Posto/ Khuskhus: 2 Tbsp.
- Fennel Seed/ Mauri/ Saunf: 2 Tbsp.
- Black Peppercorn/ Gol Marich/ Kali Mirch: 15
- Green Cardamom/ Choto Elach/ Hari Elaichi: 8 (de-seeded)
- Rose Water: 1/2 Tsp.
- Saffron: 12-15 Strings
- For Garnishing:
- Pistachios: 5 (chopped)
- Saffron Strings: 5-10
Easy Thandai Recipe
- Soak Almond, Cashew Nut, Pistachios, Melon Seed, Poppy Seed, Fennel Seed Black Peppercorn and De-seeded Green Cardamom in plain water for minimum 2 hours; however, I soaked all the ingredients overnight.
- Take milk in a deep bottom Vessel and bring it to boil.
- Add Sugar and cook the milk in medium flame until sugar dissolves completely.
- Take 2 Tbsp. of milk out in a small bowl and add Saffron to this small portion of warm milk and keep it aside.
- Switch the flame off and let the remaining milk cool completely.
- Take Almonds and Pistachios out of the soaked spice and nut mix and remove the skins.
- Now make a fine Paste of Almond, Cashew Nut, Pistachios, Melon Seed, Poppy Seed, Fennel Seed Black Peppercorn and De-seeded Green Cardamom either in a grinder or using a “Shil-Nora” or “Shilbatta”. You can add 2 Tbsp. Water if required.
- Add this paste to the Milk and mix properly using a spoon and then cover the vessel with a lid and leave it for around 30 minutes.
- Now using a strainer strain the milk in a large vessel or Jug.
- Mix the residue with 1 Cup of Water and strain again into the same large vessel which was used for storing the flavored milk.
- Add previously prepared Saffron milk and Rosewater to the mixture and let the Milk cool in a refrigerator for around 2-3 hours before serving.
- At the time of Serving mix the milk with a spoon and pour in glasses and garnish with chopped Pistachios and strings of Saffron.
- Adjust the sugar according to preference.
- Instead of full-fat milk, you can use skimmed milk to make Thandai.
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 10 mins
- Category: Drinks
- Cuisine: Indian
- Serving Size: 250ml
- Calories: 295
- Sugar: 20.7g
- Sodium: 191mg
- Fat: 13.4gg
- Saturated Fat: 4.8g
- Carbohydrates: 33.7g
- Fiber: 2.7g
- Protein: 13.7g
- Cholesterol: 27mg