Kancha Golla is a famous Bengali soft Sondesh (Fudge). It is prepared with fresh cottage cheese and also Gur or Sugar
- Full-cream Milk: 3 Liters
- Lemon Juice: 1 Tbsp.
- Dudher Shor/ Fresh Cream/ Malai: 200ml
- Khowa/ Mawa: 250g.
- Patali Gur: 300g
To make chana:
- Boil milk in a deep bottom vessel until it reduces to 1/3.
- Mix lemon juice with one cup of water and add it to the milk and then cover the vessel with a lid.
- Switch the flame off and open the lid after 10 minutes.
- The milk will curdle by then and water will separate from the curdled milk.
- Strain the water and put the curdled milk over cheesecloth and tie all the ends of the cloth.
- Place the Chana with cheesecloth over a flat surface and put some weight over it to remove as much as moisture possible.
To make reduced Cream:
- Take cream over a pan and cook it over a low flame to reduce. this will take around 10 minutes.
To make Kancha Golla:
- Knead the chana using your fingers.
- Take half portion of the Chana with Patali gur and cook it over the low flame.
- Get the mixture completely cooled.
- Now knead the cooked Chana along with uncooked chana and reduced cream to make a smooth dough.
- Make small balls out of the dough and serve it in room temperature or after fridge for a few hours.
You can substitute Gur with Sugar.
You can use half Gur and half Sugar as well.
It is better to consume it within 1-2 days of making.
I have used fresh homemade malai, however, if not available use the thick portion of the packaged fresh cream.
- Category: Dessert
- Cuisine: Bengali