A classic dessert that is sure to please, this plum cake trifle recipe is delicious and easy to make. Made with layers of rich plum cake and creamy custard, this dessert is perfect for any occasion.
For Cake Layer
- 1 pound Plum Cake
For Booze Layer
- 90ml Brandy
For Jam Layer
- 75g Strawberry Jam
To make the Custard
- 800ml Full-cream Milk
- 3 Tbsp. Custard Powder
- 4 Tbsp. Sugar
For Fruit Layer
- 100g Strawberries
- 200g Blueberries
- 20 Grapes
- 50g Tutti Frutti
For Cream Layer
- 300ml Whipped cream
To make the custard
- Custard makes the 5th layer of the Trifle. However, as we need it at room temperature or better chilled, we need to make it first.
- I used Custard powder to make the custard.
- You can use eggs to make authentic custard though!
- Take 3 Tbsp. Vanilla Custard Powder in a bowl.
- Add 1 cup of Warm Milk and mix to make the mixture.
- We need the custard for the trifle to be thick and hence, you need to use custard powder wisely (3 Tbsp. for 750ml of milk).
- Now bring 750ml full-cream milk to boil.
- Add 4 Tbsp. Sugar to it and let it mix.
- Now add the custard mix and mix thoroughly.
- Cook on slow flame for 5 minutes.
- Mix vigorously so that there's no lump.
- Let it cook for a minute on a slow flame and switch the flame off.
- Let the Vanilla custard come to room temperature.'
- I prefer to have the custard chilled while layering it for the Trifle.
- Cut a 1-pound Plum Cake into small pieces.
- Take a Trifle bowl and layer the cake.
- The cake will make the base of the Trifle.
- Pour the brandy to coat each piece of cake.
- For Non-alcoholic Trifle, instead of brandy use orange juice.
- In this recipe for Christmas Trifle, I have used some homemade Strawberry Jam for the next layer.
- Spread the jam over the cake pieces wisely.
- This layer is very important to balance the flavors.
- Now pour the chilled custard over the jam layer and spread properly.
- The custard must be at room temperature or better chilled.
- Check the consistency of the Custard. Do not use runny custard in a trifle.
Fruit Layer 1
- Here I must mention, I keep the trifle in the refrigerator before adding the fruits to set the custard. This takes around 30 minutes.
- The next layer is having fruits!
- Layer the trifle with seasonal fruits.
- I have used Strawberries, blueberries, and Grapes.
- Cut them into small pieces.
- Layer the fruits over the custard layer.
- Now take 300ml whipped cream (chilled) in a bowl.
- Use a hand blender and whip till a soft pick is there.
- The whipped cream I have used is having sugar already.
- If you are using cream without sugar, add 3 Tbsp. Castor sugar while whipping it.
- Layer the trifle with the cream.
- Pour and level the whipped cream properly.
- Once done, keep it in the refrigerator for 15 minutes before final decoration.
- Once done, decorate the trifle with fruits.
Final Layer / Decoration
- I use seasonal fruits, tutti frutti for this.
- Use your creativity while decorating the trifle. I am not a much creative person. I use the simplest way possible.
- Along with Strawberries and Blueberries, I have used some homemade Tutti frutti.
- You can make tutti frutti following my recipe or can buy those.
- Once the decoration is done, let the Plum cake Trifle chill in the refrigerator before serving.
- Instead of plum cake, you can use other cakes as well.
- You can use canned fruits as well instead of fresh fruits.
- I used custard powder to make the custard. You can use eggs and flour to make it authentically.
- Prep Time: 15min
- Set Time: 2 Hours
- Cook Time: 30min
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Cooking
- Cuisine: Continental
- Serving Size: 150g
- Calories: 704
- Sugar: 15.8g
- Sodium: 441mg
- Fat: 31.2g
- Saturated Fat: 14.8g
- Carbohydrates: 91.6g
- Fiber: 2.6g
- Protein: 10.2g
- Cholesterol: 122mg