Butter Chicken is a signature Indian chicken curry cooked with grilled chicken and a special gravy called Makhani Gravy.
- 750g Boneless Chicken (cut into squares)
To make the chicken Tandoori (in a pan)
- 1 Tsp. Salt.
- 2 Tsp. Kashmiri Red Chili Powder
- 1 Tbsp. Tandoori Masala
- 1 Tsp. Turmeric Powder
- 1 Tbsp. Garlic Paste
- 2 Tbsp. Butter
To make Makhani Gravy
- 4 Onions
- 5 Tomatoes
- 3-inches Ginger
- 6 cloves of Garlic
- 20 Cashew nuts
- 2 Tsp. Kasoori Methi
- 1 Tsp. Kashmiri Red Chili Powder
- 1 Tsp. Salt
- 1 Tsp. Sugar
- 4 Green Cardamom
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 6 Cloves
- 6 Black Pepper
- 5 Tbsp. Butter
- 150ml fresh cream
- 5 drops Keora Water
- 1 Tbsp. Cream
- 1/2 Tsp. Kasoori Methi
- Marinate the chicken with 1 Tsp. Salt, 1 Tsp. Kashmiri Red Chili Powder, 1 Tbsp. Tandoori Masala, 1 Tsp. Turmeric Powder and also 1 Tbsp. Garlic Paste.
- Keep the chicken marinated for 1 hour.
- Use the marination time to make the Makhani gravy.
- Chop the onions and cut the tomatoes into halves.
- Melt around 4 Tbsp. of salted Butter in a pan.
- Add Tomatoes followed by Onion, 3-inches Ginger, 6 cloves of Garlic, and also 20 Cashew nuts.
- Now add 1/2 Tsp. Salt.
- Add 1 Tsp. Kashmiri Red Chili Powder as well.
- Keep the flame medium, and mix thoroughly.
- Now add 4 Green Cardamom, 1 cinnamon stick, 6 Cloves, and also 6 Black pepper.
- Add 2 cups of Water and cover and let it cook for 15 minutes.
- You may adjust the time depending on how much is needed to soften the onion and tomatoes.
- Once soften, add 1 Tbsp. Butter.
- Mix and switch the flame off and let it comes to room temperature.
- Transfer the mixture to a blender and blend to make a smooth mixture.
- Strain the mixture through a strainer.
- Now melt 1 Tbsp. Butter in a pan.
- Add 1/2 Tsp. Kashmiri Red Chili Powder and also 1/4 Tsp. Salt.
- Mix and you will see an amazing color forming in the pan.
- Now add the makhani mixture and give it a thorough mix.
- Now add 150ml of fresh cream and mix properly.
- Add 1 Tsp. Sugar and mix.
- Now add 2 Tsp. crushed Kasoori Methi.
- Bring it to a boil and lastly add 1/4 Tsp. Keora Water.
- Makhni Gravy is ready!
Grilling the Chicken
- Heat 2 Tbsp. Butter in a pan and let it melt.
- Add 1/2 Tsp. Kashmiri Red Chili Powder and mix it with the butter.
- Now add marinated Chicken and pan-fry after keeping the flame low.
- Fry for 10 minutes (both sides) and by then the chicken will be 2/3 done.
- Strain those from the pan.
Assembling the grilled chicken and makhani gravy
- Transfer the chicken to the makhani gravy and mix properly.
- While cooking keep the flame low.
- Cover and cook for 5 minutes on low flame.
- Check if the chicken is done or not. If not, cook for a few minutes.
- Now add 1 Tbsp. Cream and mix.
- Butter Chicken is ready!
- Garnish it with some fresh cream and crushed kasoori methi and serve hot with your choice of roti/ naan/ paratha or pulav.
Depending on the size of the onion and tomatoes, you can increase or decrease the number of those.
- Prep Time: 60min
- Cook Time: 60min
- Category: Side
- Method: Cooking
- Cuisine: Indian
- Serving Size: 200g
- Calories: 612
- Sugar: 12.7g
- Sodium: 1486mg
- Fat: 36.5g
- Saturated Fat: 19.2g
- Carbohydrates: 27.9g
- Fiber: 6.8g
- Protein: 44.2g
- Cholesterol: 184mg
Keywords: butter chicken recipe, how to make butter chicken at home, murgh makhani recipe, chicken makhani recipe, debjanir rannaghar