Taler Luchi is a delicious flatbread made with All-purpose flour and Sugar Palm extract aka Taler Mari (in Bengali).
To make sugar palm extract
- 1 Sugar Palm
To make Taler Luchi
- 300g All-purpose Flour (2 cups)
- 1/2 Tsp. Salt
- 1 Tbsp. Ghee
- 1 cup Sugar Palm extract (reduced)
- Vegetable Oil (for deep-frying)
Sugar palm extract
- Take one ripe sugar palm. You need to extract the pulp.
- After that, you will have to reduce the pulp by cooking.
- This reduced pulp will be used in making the luchi.
- First, remove the crown from the sugar palm. and discard the fibrous skin.
- Now separate the sugar palm from the mid.
- You will get 2 or 3 seeds covered with pulpy fibrous fruit.
- Now sprinkle some water over a seed.
- Take either a basket or a grater or an edgy container or bowl and start grating the fruit.
- The fruit pulp will easily be separated from the seed while grating.
- You can sprinkle water once in a while doing it.
- Once done, strain the pulp to remove the fiber.
- Once the grating is done, take the pulp in a pan and start cooking it on low flame.
- Cook for around 7 minutes.
- By this time the pulp will be reduced to half and also will be cooked and ready for the next step. Wait till it is room temperature to follow further steps.
- You need around 2/3 cup- 1 cup pulp to make 20 taal er luchi.
Making Taler Luchi
- Take All-purpose flour in a bowl.
- Now add 1/2 Tsp. Salt to it and mix.
- Add 1 Tbsp. Ghee and mix till the mixture turn crumbly.
- Now by adding cooked sugar palm pulp (in small portions) to the flour make a semi-soft dough.
- The dough must not be tough.
- You may need 2/3 cup to 1 cup reduced pulp to make the dough.
- Once done, keep the dough for 15 minutes before making the Luchi.
- Cut the dough into small portions- around 20.
- Shape each portion into balls.
- Now heat sufficient vegetable oil in a pan.
- take one flour ball and place it on the rolling surface.
- You may spear some oil on it.
- Now using the rolling pin flatten the flour ball.
- Make a round-shape flatbread.
- Now fry the flatbread in the already heated oil.
- While frying lower the flame.
- Using a spatula press a bit in the middle while frying.
- This way, the luchi will be puffy.
- Once fried from one side, flip it and fry the other side.
- Strain from the oil and follow the same process shape and fry remaining luchi.
You can use Ghee instead of Oil if you are not that calorie-conscious
- Prep Time: 30
- Cook Time: 15
- Category: Main
- Method: Cooking
- Cuisine: Bengali
- Serving Size: 50g
- Calories: 128
- Sugar: 1.3g
- Sodium: 59mg
- Fat: 7.7g
- Saturated Fat: 1.8g
- Carbohydrates: 13g
- Fiber: 0.5g
- Protein: 1.6g
- Cholesterol: 2mg
Keywords: taler luchi recipe, taal-er luchi, debjanir rannaghar, bengali taal recipe, janmasthami recipe