Bengali Chorbir Bora (Mutton Fat Fritters)
Chorbir Bora is a delicious fritter prepared with mutton fat chunks and a few selected ingredients. These mutton fat fritters go amazing with simple Dal rice and also with a hot cup of Chai!
- Author: Debjani Chatterjee Alam
- Prep Time: 15
- Cook Time: 30
- Total Time: 45 minutes
- Yield: 15 pieces 1x
- Category: Side
- Method: Cooking
- Cuisine: Bengali
- 200g Mutton Fat
- 150g Red Lentil aka Masoor Dal
- 2 Tbsp. Rice Flour
- 2 Onion
- 1 Tbsp. Garlic Paste
- 1 Tbsp. Ginger Paste
- 4-5 Green Chili
- 1 Tsp. Turmeric Powder
- 1 Pinch Baking Soda
- 1.5 Tsp. Salt or to taste
- 200ml Mustard Oil
Soaking the Lentil
- Soak the red lentil in ample water with a pinch of salt overnight.
- Wash the lentil 2-3 times before soaking.
Marinating the mutton fat before making fritters
- Cut mutton fat into- bite-size pieces.
- I prefer using scissors to cut the fat!
- Sprinkle 1/2 Tsp. Salt and 1/2 Tsp. Turmeric Powder.
- Coat the mutton fat chunks properly and keep those marinated for 30 minutes before frying
- Meanwhile, peel the skin and roughly chop the onions.
- Chop green chilies as well.
- You can increase or decrease the number of chilies depending on how hot you want the mutton fat fritters to be.
Making the batter
- Take the lentils. The lentils will be fluffy after 8 hours of soaking.
- Add 2 Green Chilies.
- Now add 1/4 Tsp. Salt.
- Mix the ingredients using a spoon.
- Now make a thick paste without adding additional water.
- You can use either a food processor or traditional Shil Nora to make the paste.
- I used a food processor and made the paste in 2 batches.
- Please refer to the pictures or video for the texture of the paste.
- Add chopped onion to this paste.
- Now add chopped green chilies as well.
- Add Rice Flour.
- Now add Turmeric Powder.
- Adjust Salt if needed. Consider that salt has already been added to the fat as well as in lentil paste.
- Add Garlic paste and ginger paste as well.
- Now mix using your fingers. You can use a spoon as well however, clean fingers work better!
- Mix till the time the onion releases moisture.
- Now add marinated mutton fat aka Chorbi.
- Mix for another 2 minutes.
- Refer to the pictures or video for the final texture of the batter. It should not be runny.
- You can easily make balls out of this batter.
- Heat Oil in a pan till it changes color.
- You need oil in excess to deep-fry.
- Make 2" size balls out of the batter and drop 8-10 at once in the hot oil carefully.
- Make sure to add at least one chunk of mutton fat to each ball while shaping those.
- Upon dropping the fritters, the oil would start bubbling.
- Keep the flame low and keep frying the fat fritters.
- It will take around 5 minutes to fry each batch of Chorbir Bora.
- You may fry around 8-10 bora at one go depending on the size of the pan.
- Mustard Oil to deep-fry the fritters.
- Mustard Oil gives an amazing aroma to the fritters.
- Use a spoon to turn the fritters while frying them instead of using the spatula.
- Use a perforated ladle or spatula that strains the oil to strain the bora once they are deep-fried.
- Do not fry over high heat as the fat will need time to cook properly.
- In West Bengal, while purchasing the mutton, we get the Chorbi aka fat for free (if asked nicely!)
- Serving Size: 50g
- Calories: 278
- Sugar: 0.9g
- Sodium: 253mg
- Fat: 26.2g
- Saturated Fat: 6.7g
- Carbohydrates: 8.8g
- Fiber: 1.3g
- Protein: 2.5g
- Cholesterol: 13mg
Keywords: chorbir bora recipe, bengali choribir bora recipe, mutton fat fritter recipe, bengali khashir mangsher chorbir bora recipe, debjanir rannaghar, chprbir bora recipe video
Recipe Card powered by