Posto diye Laushak Bhate; a simple Bengali vegan and gluten-free mash prepared with bottle gourd leaves and poppyseed paste is worth having with steamed rice and Daal!
- 2 bunch Bottle gourd leaves (also known as Laushak)
- 50g Poppyseed aka Posto aka Khuskhus
- 3 Green Chilies
- 1 Onion
- 2 Tbsp. Mustard Oil
- 1 Tsp. Salt
- Thoroughly wash bottle gourd leaves.
- Remove all the impurities and yellow portions if any.
- Now cut those roughly. Use both stems as well as the leaves.
- Soak Poppyseed aka Posto in warm water for 15 minutes.
- Make a paste of the poppyseed aka posto after adding 1 green chili and 1/2 Tsp. Salt.
- Make the paste as smooth as possible.
- Boil the greens in a vessel along with a lot of water for around 15 minutes after coving with a lid.
- If you are a regular rice-eater, you can boil the leaves along with rice as well.
- Instead, you can boil those in the microwave (high; for 10 minutes).
- Once done discard the water.
- Meanwhile, chop one onion and 1-2 green chilies depending on how spicy you would prefer.
- When you think the greens can be managed by your hand; take those in a bowl.
- Using your fingers mash those a bit. They will release moisture.
- Now add chopped onion, slit green chilies, poppyseed paste, and also mustard oil and mix properly.
- If needed adjust the salt.
- You can use a masher to make the mash as well. However, keep the greens a bit chunky instead of mashing them completely.
- Serve Posto diye laushak bhate along with simple daal and rice.
You can make this a bit dry by removing the moisture and also by making an almost dry paste of poppyseed. However, we prefer the runniness that comes from the water coming from the greens and poppyseed paste mixed with the pungency of mustard oil.
- Prep Time: 10
- Cook Time: 15
- Category: Side
- Method: Cooking
- Cuisine: Bengali
- Serving Size: 75g
- Calories: 143
- Sugar: 2.5g
- Sodium: 958mg
- Fat: 11.2g
- Saturated Fat: 11.4g
- Carbohydrates: 8.2g
- Fiber: 3.4g
- Protein: 4.4g
- Cholesterol: 0mg
Keywords: Posto diye laushak, bengali vegan recipe, bengali gluten free recipe, debjanir rannaghar