Basa Fish Curry with Coconut Milk
Basa Fish Curry cooked with Coconut Milk, Curry Leaves, and Bengali Five spices aka Panch Phoron. This is a super easy Indian fish Curry recipe which is comforting as well.
- Author: Debjani
- Prep Time: 5 min
- Marination Time: 30 min
- Cook Time: 20 min
- Total Time: 55 minutes
- Yield: 3 Portions 1x
- Category: Side Dish
- Method: cooking
- Cuisine: Indian
- Diet: Low Calorie
- 350g Basa Fish (boneless; 6 pieces)
- 1 cup Coconut Limk
- 3 Green Chilles
- 20 Curry Leaves
- 4 Tbsp. Vegetable Oil
- 1 Tsp. Red Chilli Powder
- 1 Tsp. Indian Curry Powder
- 1/2 Tsp. Panch Phoron aka Bengali Five Spices
- 1/2 Tsp. Salt (if needed)
- 2 Tbsp. Lemon Juice
- 1 Tsp. Salt
To make the Spice mix:
- 100g Hung curd
- 1 Tbsp. Ginger Garlic paste
- 1 Tsp. Turmeric Powder
- 1 Tsp. Indian curry Powder
- 1 Tbsp. Sugar
- 1/2 Tsp. Salt
- Marinate boneless Basa fish chunks with 2 Tbsp. Lemon Juice and 1 Tsp. Salt for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile prepare the spice mix.
- Take Hung Curd in a bowl.
- Add Ginger garlic paste, turmeric powder, Indian curry Powder. Sugar and also salt to it.
- Mix well and keep it aside.
- Now heat 4 Tbsp. Oil in a pan.
- Temper the oil with curry leaves and Panch Phoron.
- Cook for a minute and add the spice mix to it.
- Mix and cook for 2 minutes on low flame.
- Now add half of the coconut milk and mix well.
- Keep cooking on low flame.
- Now add remaining coconut milk.
- After mixing add marinated fish and also the remaining marinade.
- At this point add green chillies, red chilli powder and salt if neede.
- Give alight mix.
- Cook for 10 minutes after putting a lid on low flame.
- Once done, switch the flame off.
- Serve the fish curry hot with steamed rice.
- Top it with chopped green chillies and lemon juice for added flavour.
- Panch Phoron is a mixture of five spices, Black Mustard Seed, Cumin Seed, Fenugreek Seed, Nigella Seed, and also Fennel Seed. This is a typical Bengali spice mix.
- Curry leaves are mostly used in South India (some other parts of India as well); I like the blend of Curry leaves and Panch Phoron in this particular curry cooked with Basa.
- I do not fry fish while cooking the Basa Curry with coconut milk. The recipe calls for basic ingredients and a simple cooking style.
Keywords: Basa fish curry, fish curry with coconut milk, easy fish curry recipe, debjanir rannaghar
Recipe Card powered by