Ilish Beguner jhol is a light curry cooked with Fresh Hilsa and wedges of Eggplant aka Begun and is a comforting Hilsa fish curry.
- 6 Pieces Hilsa fish aka Ilish Mach (150g each)
- 1 Eggplant
- 5 Green Chillies
- 2 cloves of Garlic (optional)
- 1 Tsp. Onion Seed aka Kalojire aka Kalonji
- 1 Tsp. Red Chilli Powder
- 1 Tsp. Turmeric Powder
- 1 Tsp. Salt
- 6 Tbsp. Mustard Oil
- Wash Hilsa Fish chunks and rub 1/2 Tsp. each of Salt, Turmeric Powder, Red Chili Powder and 1 Tbsp. Mustard oil to the fish.
- Leave the fishes after marination for 15 minutes.
- Cut Eggplant into thick wedges (with the skin on).
- Rub the eggplant with the marination available in the bowl you are keeping the marinated fish.
- Now heat 3 Tbsp. Mustard Oil in a thick bottom pan.
- Once heated, lightly fry the fish for 30 seconds on each side.
- This step is ootional and you can for sure skip this step however, doing this you can have Ilish Mach bhajar tel (oil from frying Hilsa) in the pan which is a dish itself.
- If you are frying the fish, strain 2 Tbsp. Oil from the pan once the fishes are fried lightly and strained.
- Once done, fry the eggplant wedges remaining in the pan for 1 minute and strain from the oil.
- Temper the oil remaining in the pan with nigella seed and freshly crushed garlic (optional).
- Now add green chillies after cutting those into halves.
- Mix remainng Turmeric Powder, Red Chili Powder, and also Salt with 1/2 cup water and add this mixture to the pan.
- The mixture will start bubbling soon.
- At this point add 4 cups of water and bring the mixture to boil.
- Once start boiling, add Hilsa fish (either fried or unfried) and cook for 7 minutes on high flame.
- Now add fried eggplant and cook for 3 more minutes.
- Adjust the water as the curry should be runny.
- Adjust Salt and also chili powder if needed.
- Once done, add 1 Tbsp. Mustard Oil and lightly mix it.
- Cook for a minute and switch the flame off.
- Serve Ilish Beguner Jhol with steamed hot rice.
- Prep Time: 10 min
- Cook Time: 15 min
- Category: Side Dish
- Method: cooking
- Cuisine: Bengali
- Serving Size: 175g
- Calories: 342
- Sugar: 2.6g
- Sodium: 950mg
- Fat: 19.3g
- Saturated Fat: 2.9g
- Carbohydrates: 5.7g
- Fiber: 3.3g
- Protein: 35.3g
- Cholesterol: 60mg
Keywords: Ilish beguner Jhol, Ilish Macher Jhol, Ilish Macher Tel Jhol, Ilish Begun Jhol, Ilish Mach recipe, Hilsa fish curry, Debjanir rannaghar