Mangalorean Rava Pomfret fry is a crispy fish fry and a coastal delicacy prepared with fresh pomfret fish. This is not a deep fried dish and hence, calls for less oil to make this tasty snack/ fish side.
- 4 Pomfret fish (medium; whole; cleaned)
- 75g (1/2 Cup) fine Rava/ Semolina
- 7-8 Tbsp. Coconut oil or Vegetable Oil
- 4 Tbsp. Spice Mix
Spice Mix ingredients
- 1 Tsp. Turmeric Powder
- 1 Tsp. Red Chili Powder
- 1 Tsp. Cumin Powder
- 1/2 Tsp. Coriander Powder
- 1 Tsp. Salt
- 2 Tbsp. Tamarind Pulp
- 1 Tsp. Garlic paste
- 1 Tsp. Ginger paste
- 1 Tbsp. Oil
- 1/4 cup chopped Onion
- 8 lemon slices (round)
- 2 Tbsp. chopped coriander leaves
- Use clean fresh fish for this preparation.
- Give a few slits so that the fish can be marinated internally as well.
- Take Turmeric Powder, Red Chili Powder, Cumin Powder, Coriander Powder, Salt, and also Tamarind Pulp in a bowl.
- Add Ginger and Garlic paste and also 1 Tbsp. Oil.
- Now mix those to make a paste.
- Marinate the fishes with this paste.
- Keep marinated fish for 30 minutes before frying.
- Once done, coat the fishes from both the side with rava.
- While applying the rava, press the fishes so that those are coated properly
- Once coated keep those for 10 minutes as it is.
- Now take a pan and heat 2 Tbsp. Oil.
- Keep the flame low once the oil is properly heated.
- Place one or two fishes and shallow fry one side for around 3 minutes.
- Once done, flip the fish and fry the other side as well.
- The fishes will be crisp once frying is complete.
- Once done strain from the pan.
- Add oil again and fry the rest of the fishes.
- Serve hot and crispy Rava pomfret fry along with lemon, chopped onion and a few coriander leaves.
- Instead of whole fishes, you can use fish chunk as well.
- If tamarind is not available use 2 Tbsp. Lemon juice or vinegar.
- Instead of normal chili powder, you can use Kashmiri red chili powder.
- Do not deep fry the fishes while making Rava fry. The fishes should be shallow fried.
- If you are not willing to use coconut oil, use vegetable oil however, it is better not to use mustard oil and the flavor will overpower.
- Prep Time: 40min
- Cook Time: 15 min
- Category: Snack
- Method: Frying
- Cuisine: Indian
- Serving Size: 150g
- Calories: 319
- Sugar: 0.7g
- Sodium: 833mg
- Fat: 19.5g
- Saturated Fat: 2.8g
- Carbohydrates: 17.3g
- Fiber: 1.3g
- Protein: 18.2g
- Cholesterol: 27mg
Keywords: Pomfret Rava Fry, Rava Pomfret Fry, Rava Fish Fry, Mangalorean pomfret Rava Fry, Debjanir Rannaghar