Chicken Liver Pâté is a classic spread prepared with chicken liver and a choice of herbs along with butter and a dash of brandy.
- 250g Chicken Liver
- 1 Onion (or 2 Shallot)
- 1 Tsp. Garlic paste
- 1 tsp. dried thyme
- 2 Tbsp. Brandy (or Cognac)
- 100g Butter
- 1/2 Tsp. Salt
- 1 Tsp. ground pepper
- 1/4 Tsp. ground cinnamon
- Cut the liver into small chunks and roughly chop the onion.
- Take 1/2 of the butter in a deep bottom pan and let it melt at medium temperature.
- Add the bay leaf.
- Now add chopped onion and also garlic paste and fry for a minute.
- Add chopped liver.
- Now add ground cinnamon and cook on low flame till the liver changes color.
- It will take hardly 2 minutes.
- The liver will start releasing moisture by this time.
- At this point add both black pepper and also salt and give it a mix.
- Now add half of the remaining butter and mix well.
- Add thyme at this point.
- Cook for 5 minutes and switch the flame off.
- Discard the bay leaf and add brandy and give it a mix.
- If making a non-alcoholic version, just skip the brandy.
- Let it cool and make a smooth paste using the food processor.
- Once done transfer in a ramekin or a choice of the bowl.
- Even the top with a spoon.
- On the same pan that was used for making the pate, melt the remaining butter.
- Spread the melted butter over the pate.
- Refrigerate it for 2 hours.
- The pate will set by then with butter set in the top.
- You can store it in the refrigerator for 7 days.
Take a fresh slice of bread or baguette, or a cracker and spread the pate and enjoy it.
The paste should not be grainy. It will be depending on the doneness of the liver. If you overcook, the liver will be grainy while making the paste. Total 7 minutes of cooking is enough.
This is a low lactose recipe. If you wish you can add some cream while making it.
- Category: Spread
- Method: cooking
- Cuisine: French
- Serving Size: 40g
- Calories: 130
- Sugar: 0.5g
- Sodium: 194mg
- Fat: 9.8g
- Saturated Fat: 5.7g
- Carbohydrates: 1.6g
- Fiber: 0.4g
- Protein: 6.4g
- Cholesterol: 162mg
Keywords: Chicken Liver Pate recipe, Debjanir Rannaghar, Chicken Liver Recipe