Bhat Bhaja | Bengali Bhaja Bhat
Bhat Bhaja is a Bengali-style fried rice cooked with leftover rice and veggies
- Author: Debjani Chatterjee Alam
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 15 mins
- Total Time: 25 mins
- Yield: 350g 1x
- Category: Rice
- Method: Cooking
- Cuisine: Bengali
- Diet: Vegetarian
- 3 cups Cooked Rice
- 1 Carrot
- 2 Beans
- 1 cup Green Peas
- 1 Potato
- 1" Ginger
- 15-20 Cashewnut (optional)
- 15-20 Raisin (optional)
- 2 Tbsp. Lemon Juice
- 2 Green Chili
- 1 Tsp. Bengali Garam Masala Powder
- 1 Tbsp. Sugar
- 1 Tsp. Black Pepper Powder
- Salt to taste
- 1 Tbsp. Ghee
- 4 Tbsp. Vegetable Oil
- 1 Whole Cinnamon Stick
- 2 Bay leaf
- 2 Dry Red Chilli
- 5 Clove
- 4 Green Cardamom
- 2 Black Cardamom
- Leftover rice is ideal for this recipe. You must use properly cooked rice with the grains intact.
- Peel the skin of Carrot and Potato.
- Cut both into long strips or very small squares. You may refer to the picture.
- Cut beans into medium strips and ginger into julienne.
- Now cut green chilies and soak with lemon juice.
- Take a pan and heat the oil and also the ghee.
- Fry both cashew nut and raisin and strain from the pan.
- Temper the oil with Whole Cinnamon Stick, Bay leaf, Dry Red Chilli, Clove, Green Cardamom, and also Black Cardamom.
- Now fry Potato and Carrot followed by Beans and also green chilies.
- While frying, add 1/2 Tsp. Salt.
- Once done, add ginger and cook for a minute.
- At this point add black pepper powder and also sugar.
- Mix and cook for a minute.
- Now add cooked rice and fry it with the veggies for around 5 minutes.
- Add fried cashew nuts and also raisins.
- Once done, adjust salt and add green chilies soaked in lemon juice and mix.
- Now add Bengali Garam Masala and give a final mix.
- If you wish, you can add 1 Tbsp. Ghee again and mix.
- Serve it hot with your choice of curry.
- I do not add Onion while cooking Vat Bhaja. You can, however, add it. In fact, you can add fried chicken or fried paneer as well.
- Veggies are optional. Use whatever you are available that goes well with the fried rice type of preparation. You can use bell pepper, zucchini, cauliflower, and even broccoli.
- Instead of Ghee, you can use only oil. If you wish try Olive oil though that will not give you the distinct flavor of Bhatbhaja.
- Serving Size: 120g
- Calories: 580
- Sugar: 9.3g
- Sodium: 808mg
- Fat: 23.4g
- Saturated Fat: 5.3g
- Carbohydrates: 83.7g
- Fiber: 8.4g
- Protein: 10.1g
- Cholesterol: 11mg
Keywords: Bhat Bhaja, Pulao, Bengali Pulao Recipe, Bhat Bhaja Recipe, Debjanir Rannaghar
Recipe Card powered by