Bhat Bhaja is a Bengali style fried rice cooked with leftover rice and veggies
- 3 Cups Cooked Rice
- 1 Carrot
- 2 Beans
- 1 cup Green Peas
- 1 Potato
- 1" Ginger
- 15-20 Cashewnut (optional)
- 15-20 Raisin (optional)
- 2 Tbsp. Lemon Juice
- 2 Green Chili
- 1 Tsp. Bengali Garam Masala Powder
- 1 Tbsp. Sugar
- 1 Tsp. Black Pepper Powder
- Salt to taste
- 1 Tbsp. Ghee
- 4 Tbsp. Vegetable Oil
- 1 Whole Cinnamon Stick
- 2 Bay leaf
- 2 Dry Red Chilli
- 5 Clove
- 4 Green Cardamom
- 2 Black Cardamom
- Leftover rice is ideal for this recipe. You must use properly cooked rice with the grains intact.
- Peel the skin of Carrot and Potato.
- Cut both into long strips or very small squares. You may refer to the picture.
- Cut beans into medium strips and ginger into julienne.
- Now cut green chilies and soak with lemon juice.
- Take a pan and heat the oil and also the ghee.
- Fry both cashew nut and raisin and strain from the pan.
- Temper the oil with Whole Cinnamon Stick, Bay leaf, Dry Red Chilli, Clove, Green Cardamom, and also Black Cardamom.
- Now fry Potato and Carrot followed by Beans and also green chilies.
- While frying, add 1/2 Tsp. Salt.
- Once done, add ginger and cook for a minute.
- At this point add black pepper powder and also sugar.
- Mix and cook for a minute.
- Now add cooked rice and fry it with the veggies for around 5 minutes.
- Add fried cashew nuts and also raisins.
- Once done, adjust salt and add green chilies soaked in lemon juice and mix.
- Now add Bengali Garam Masala and give a final mix.
- If you wish, you can add 1 Tbsp. Ghee again and mix.
- Serve it hot with your choice of curry.
I do not add Onion while cooking Vat Bhaja. You can, however, add it. In fact, you can add fried chicken or fried paneer as well.
Veggies are optional. Use whatever you are available with that goes well with the fried rice type of preparation. You can use bell pepper, zucchini, cauliflower, and even broccoli.
Instead of Ghee, you can use only oil. If you wish try Olive oil though that will not give you the distinct flavor of Bhatbhaja.
- Category: Rice
- Cuisine: Bengali
- Serving Size: 120g
- Calories: 580
- Sugar: 9.3g
- Sodium: 808mg
- Fat: 23.4g
- Saturated Fat: 5.3g
- Carbohydrates: 83.7g
- Fiber: 8.4g
- Protein: 10.1g
- Cholesterol: 11mg
Keywords: Bhat Bhaja, Pulao, Bengali Pulao Recipe, Bhat Bhaja Recipe, Debjanir Rannaghar