Jhuri Aloo Bhaja is a Bengali style crunchy fried potatoes prepared with shredded potatoes
- 5 Potatoes
- 30 Curry Leaves from 2 medium-sized stems with leaves
- 75g Peanuts
- 4-5 Dry Red Chili (or 6-7 if using small chilies)
- 300ml Oil (or more for deep frying)
To make the spice mix:
- 1/2 Tsp. Red Chili Powder
- 1/2 Tsp. Rock Salt
- 1/4 Tsp. Chat Masala
- 1/2 Tsp. Salt
- Wash potatoes thoroughly. Do not remove the skin of potatoes while shredding those.
- Using the shredder, shred Potatoes one by one.
- If using a shredder like I am using, use the bigger holes to shred potatoes.
- In case using a cheese grater, you will not have an option for choosing though. You can use a food processor as well.
- Last but not the least, if you do not have any of these, you can manually chop the potatoes.
- Once you have shredded one potato, immediately transfer the potato to a bowl full of water.
- This step is a must.
- If you left potatoes as it is, they will turn red.
- Soaking potatoes in water helps in washing the excess starch coming from the potato.
- Following the same process shred rest of the potatoes.
- Keep soaking the potatoes in water.
- Now take a perforated bowl and strain the potatoes and discard the water.
- Wash the potatoes under running water for 1 minute or till the water is clean.
- After that take clean water in a bowl and soak the potatoes.
- It is very important to wash off the starch completely from the potatoes else you will get soggy fried potatoes, which are anything but Jhuri Aloo Bhaja!
- Now heat sufficient Oil (Refined Oil preferably) in a Pan till smoke comes from the oil.
- Take 2 strings of Curry leaves (wash before using) and deep fry those with the stem on.
- Instead of the strings, you can use separated leaves as well.
- Strain the fried Curry Leaves from the pan and place over a kitchen towel.
- Now fry Peanuts in the same oil.
- It will take around 1 minute to fry the Peanuts.
- Strain fried Peanuts from the pan and place over a kitchen towel.
- Now take 4-5 Dried Red Chillies and fry those for 30 Seconds.
- Do not over fry Chillies.
- Strain from the pan and place over the kitchen towel.
- Now start frying the Potatoes.
- You will have to fry potatoes in small batches.
- It will take around 2 minutes to fry the first batch.
- The potatoes will change color and texture once fried.
- Once done, strain fried potatoes from the pan.
- It is advisable to strain all the potatoes in one go.
- You can transfer Jhuri Aloo Bhaja over a kitchen towel however, I prefer to use a Jhuri (Bamboo Container) as it will naturally extract excess oil from the fried potatoes.
- Now fry the remaining potatoes in small batches.
- Please note, it will take extra time to fry the potatoes from the 2nd batch.
- Do not add salt while frying, as it will make the fried potatoes soggy.
- Take Salt, Rock salt, Chat Masala, and also Red Chilli Powder in a bowl and mix those to make the spice-mix.
- You will need 2/3 of the mixture for 5 potatoes.
- Sprinkle the seasoning over the friend potatoes.
- Now remove fried Curry leaves from one string and add as it is.
- Crush remaining fried Curry Leaves and add those as well.
- Now add fried Red Chillies.
- Add fried Peanuts.
- Finally, toss everything.
- If you follow the process that I have shown, you will get exactly Biyebari style Jhurjhure Aloo Bhaja.
- You can store this Jhuro Aloo Bhaja for more than 7 days in a container (preferably airtight).
- Even if eating on the very same day, transfer fried potatoes to a container to remain the crunchiness as it is!
Jhuri Aloo Bhaja Recipe Video
I have used new potatoes in this recipe; the texture of the Aloo Bhaja may vary with the type of potatoes you are using. The more starch present, the more you need to wash the potatoes. This particular type of fried potato calls for shredded potatoes and hence, use a traditional shredder or a cheese grater for this.
- Category: Side Dish
- Method: Frying
- Cuisine: Bengali
Keywords: Jhuri Aloo Bhaja Recipe, Jhurjhure aloo bhaja recipe, debjanir rannaghar