Manch Phoron Murgi aka Panch Phoron Murgir Jhol is a simple Bengali chicken Curry flavored with Bengali five spices. Needless to say, it is different from regular Bengali Murgir Jhol
- 750g Chicken (curry-cut)
- 4 Potato
- 3 Onion
- 2 Tomato
- 1 Tbsp. Ginger Paste
- 1.5 Tbsp. Garlic Paste
- 4 Green Chili
- 2 Tsp. Panch Phoron
- 2 Dry Red Chili
- 1 Tsp. Kashmiri Red Chili Powder
- 1 Tsp. Turmeric Powder
- 1 Tsp. Cumin Powder
- 1 Tsp. Coriander Powder
- 1 Tsp. Bengali Garam Masala Powder
- 1 Tbsp. Sugar
- 1 Tsp. Salt or to taste
- 2 Tbsp. Lemon Juice
- 4 Tbsp. Mustard Oil
- Dry-roast 1 Tsp. of Panch Phoron and make a coarse powder of it.
- Wash and pat dry chicken chunks.
- Marinate chicken with 1/2 Tsp. each of Kashmiri Red Chili Powder, Turmeric Powder, Cumin Powder, Coriander Powder, Bengali Garam Masala Powder, 1/2 Tsp. Panch Phoron powder, 1/2 Tbsp. Sugar and also 1/2 salt and 2 Tbsp. Mustard Oil as well for 30 minutes.
- Peel and cut potatoes into halves.
- Roughly chop onion and tomatoes.
- Now heat Mustard oil in a deep bottom pan and temper the oil with dry red chili and whole panch phoron.
- Add chopped onion and cook till the onion turns translucent.
- Now add chopped tomatoes, green chili followed by ginger paste, and also garlic paste.
- Cook on low flame till the oil floats on the top.
- Add all the remaining spice powders except Garam masala powder and cook for a while.
- Now add marinated chicken and also the potatoes and mix with the spices.
- Cook on low flame till chicken releases moisture.
- This will take around 5 minutes on low flame.
- Add 3 cups of hot water and cover the pan with a lid and cook till the chicken and potatoes are well-cooked.
- This will take around 15 minutes.
- Add remaining Garama masala Powder and switch the flame off.
- Add Lemon juice at this point.
- Serve it hot with steamed rice.
- Prep Time: 30 mins
- Cook Time: 20 mins
- Category: Chicken
- Method: Cooking
- Cuisine: Bengali
- Serving Size: 200g
- Calories: 339
- Sugar: 9.6g
- Sodium: 702mg
- Fat: 15.2g
- Saturated Fat: 1.9g
- Carbohydrates: 47.3g
- Fiber: 6.9g
- Protein: 5.7g
- Cholesterol: 0mg
Keywords: panch phoron murgi recipe, bengali murgir jhol recipe, bengali chicken curry recipe, chicken curry recipe debjanir rannaghar