Dim Bhapa aka Bhapa Dim is a quintessential Bengali delicacy prepared by steaming boiled egg with mustard and a few selected spices.
- 6 Haas er Dim aka Duck Egg
- 2 Tbsp. Yellow Mustard Seed
- 2 Tbsp. Black Mustard Seed
- 4 Tbsp. Coconut Paste
- 3 Tbsp. Plain Yogurt
- 6 Green Chillies
- 1 Tbsp. Poppy Seed aka Posto
- 1 Tsp. Turmeric Powder
- 1 Tsp. Red Chilli Powder
- 1 Tsp. Salt or to taste
- 3 Tbsp. Mustard Oil
- Hard-boil Duck egg and remove the skin once the eggs are done.
- Soak mustard seed in lukewarm water along with 1/2 tsp. salt for 15 minutes.
- Soak Poppyseed aka Posto as well in lukewarm water separately.
To make Dim Bhapa over gas-stove:
- Take a deep bottom pan and boil 3 cups of water.
- Now make a paste of the mustard along with 2 green chilies.
- After that strain the mixture and discard the husk.
- In addition, make a paste of Poppyseed.
- In a container take the mustard paste along with, Posto bata aka Poppy seed paste, Coconut Paste, Plain Yogurt, Turmeric Powder, Red Chilli Powder, and also salt.
- Add 2 Tbsp. Mustard oil and mix to make a smooth paste.
- Add green chili slits and also 1 cup of water to make the mixture runny.
- Now add boiled eggs so that the eggs are covered with the gravy.
- I prefer to use half of the egg whole and I cut the rest of the eggs in half and then use those.
- Place the lid to seal the container.
- Place a stand inside the deep-bottom pan which is having boiling water.
- Now place the container with the egg over the stand.
- There should be 1/3 of water inside the pan which must cover halfway through the container.
- Cover the pan with a lid and cook over a slow flame for 20 minutes.
- Switch the flame off and wait till you can handle the container with your hands.
- It is better to open the container at least after 20-30 minutes.
- Top the bhapa with 1 Tbsp. Mustard oil and give a thorough mix.
To make Bhapa Dim in Microwave:
- Take the mixture in a microwave oven-safe container with a lid.
- Take a bigger bowl and pour 2 cups of water.
- Place the container.
- Microwave the bhapa for 20 minutes on 60% heat.
- Serve it hot with steamed rice.
- Instead of a Duck egg, you can use a normal poultry egg or organic egg.
- You can skip both coconut and yogurt or can use either of these.
- Posto bata aka Poppy seed paste is also optional however, Dim Posto bhapa is a must-have if you like posto!
- Instead of mustard paste, Kashundi can also be used to make bhapa.
- Prep Time: 20 mins
- Cook Time: 30 mins
- Category: Egg
- Method: cooking
- Cuisine: Bengali
- Serving Size: 120g
- Calories: 467
- Sugar: 3.5g
- Sodium: 1002mg
- Fat: 39.4g
- Saturated Fat: 10.2g
- Carbohydrates: 7.3g
- Fiber: 1.8g
- Protein: 21.1g
- Cholesterol: 1239mg
Keywords: Bhapa Dim recipe, Hasher dim recipe. bengali duck egg curry recipe, Dim bhapa recipe, debjanir rannaghar