Gota Roshun diye Mangshor Jhol is a subtle Bengali Mutton curry cooked with whole Garlic pod
- 1kg Mutton (with fat) ( curry-cut)
- 4 Onion
- 4 Potato
- 1 Tbsp. Garlic Paste
- 1 Tbsp. Ginger Paste
- 4 Tbsp. Tomato Paste
- 2 Garlic Pod
- 4 Green Chilli
- 150ml Plain Curd
- 2 Tsp. Red Chili Powder
- 1 Tsp. Turmeric Powder
- 1/2 Tsp. Cumin Powder
- 1/2 Tsp. Coriander Powder
- 1 Tsp. Bengali Garam Masala Powder
- 1 Tbsp. Sugar
- 1 Tsp. Salt or to taste
- 5 Tbsp. Mustard Oil
- Wash and pat dry the mutton. Finely chop the onion.
- Cut the potatoes into halves.
- You can keep the skin if you wish to.
- If using baby potatoes, you can use that whole.
- Now in a bowl take mutton, potatoes, chopped onion, green chili, ginger, garlic paste, and also tomato paste.
- Add Cumin Powder, Coriander Powder, Bengali Garam Masala Powder, half of the turmeric powder, red chili powder, salt, and also sugar.
- Add 2 Tbsp. Mustard oil and mix everything.
- Keep the marinated meat in the refrigerator for 8 hours before cooking.
- At the time of cooking heat the remaining oil in a deep bottom vessel.
- Add remaining turmeric powder, red chili powder, and a little salt and mix everything.
- Now add the remaining sugar and let it caramelizes.
- At this point and marinated meat along with the marinade.
- Keep the flame high and mix the meat with the oil in the vessel.
- Cook on high flame for 5-7 minutes after covering with a lid.
- The meat will start releasing moisture after 5-7 minutes of cooking.
- Open the lid and place the garlic pods on top of the meat.
- Take some gravy from the pan and pour over the garlic pod.
- Cover the vessel with the lid and cook on low flame for 30 minutes.
- Open once in a while and mix with a ladle.
- Now add 2 cups of boiling water to the meat and keep cooking till the meat is well-cooked.
- It will take around 20 minutes depending on the quality of the meat.
- Once done, you will see oil floating from the top and the gravy is having a nice red color.
- Give the curry a standing time of 5 minutes before serving.
- Serve it hot with rice.
The garlic-pod not only enhances the flavor but the cooked pod tastes amazing itself with rice.
- Prep Time: 8 hours
- Cook Time: 90 mins
- Category: Mutton
- Method: Cooking
- Cuisine: Bengali
- Serving Size: 200g
- Calories: 733
- Sugar: 11.3g
- Sodium: 679mg
- Fat: 34.1g
- Saturated Fat: 8.8g
- Carbohydrates: 41.9g
- Fiber: 6.2g
- Protein: 63.1g
- Cholesterol: 186mg
Keywords: mutton curry recipe, bengali mutton curry, gota roshun diye mangsho recipe, debjanir rannaghar