Shobji diye Shutki Macher Jhol is a light curry cooked with veggies and dried fish
- Chingri Shutki (or any shutki or dry fish that you have): 50g
- Potato: 1
- Eggplant: 1/4
- Broad Beans: 5
- Onion: 1
- Tomato: 1
- Green Chilli: 2
- Ginger Garlic Paste: 1 Tbsp.
- Turmeric Powder: 1 Tsp.
- Red Chilli Powder: 1 Tsp.
- Cumin Powder (optional): 1/2 Tsp.
- Salt: to taste
- Mustard Oil: 2 Tbsp.
- Wash Chingri Shutki aka dried prawn (or whatever dry fish you are using) in hot water.
- I prefer to soak dry fish in hot water for 5 minutes and then I discard the water.
- Roughly chop onion and tomato.
- Cut the skin of the potato but do not discard it. Instead, use it to make khosa bhaja.
- Cut broad beans into small pieces and Eggplant into cubes.
- Heat the oil in a pan.
- Add half of the turmeric powder, red chili powder and also salt to the pan.
- Now add potatoes and start frying those.
- Once half-fried add broad beans and onion and keep frying on low flame.
- Now add Eggplant, tomato and also green chili followed by the dried fish and mix.
- Cover the pan with a lid and cook over low flame for 10 minutes.
- Once the veggies are well-cooked, add 2 cups of water and remaining spice powders.
- Boil for 5-7 minutes.
- It should have sufficient gravy.
- Switch the flame off and serve it hot with Rice or Roti.
If using Shutki of big fishes, such as loita (Bombay duck), one fish is sufficient to make the curry.
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 20 mins
- Category: Fish
- Cuisine: Bengali