Begun Basanti is a popular Bengali-style brinjal curry that is a delightful balance of sweet and sour cooked with Mustard and Yogurt
- 3 Eggplant (long)
- 1/4 cup Green Peas
- 4 Green Chili
To make Yogurt-mustard sauce
- 1 Tbsp. Black mustard seed
- 1 Tbsp. Yellow Mustard Seed
- 150ml Plain Curd/ Tok Doi/ plain yogurt
- 1/2 Tsp. Salt
- 1 Tsp. Nigella Seed aka Kalojire
- 2 Dry Red Chili
- 1.5 Tsp. Turmeric Powder
- 1.5 Tsp. Sugar
- 1.5 Tsp. Kashmiri Red Chili Powder
- 2 Tsp. Salt or to taste
- 3 Tbsp. Mustard Oil
- Soak the mustard seeds with 2 green chilies in hot water with 1/2 Tsp. of Salt for 15 minutes.
- Discard the water.
- Make a paste of the Seeds and chilies by adding a little salt.
- Add 1 cup of water to the paste and strain to discard the husk.
- Beat the curd to smooth it.
- Mix it with the mustard paste.
- Cut the Eggplant into long thick strips. One Big Eggplant is to be cut into at least 8 strips.
- If using small eggplant, cut each into 4 strips. You may keep the stem intact with the strip of Eggplant.
- Marinate the Eggplant strips with 1/2 Tsp. of Turmeric Powder, 1/2 Tsp. of Kashmiri Red Chili Powder, 1/2 Tsp. of Sugar, and also 1/2 Tsp. of Salt.
- Heat the oil in a Pan and fry the eggplants at low temperature from all sides.
- Strain the fried Eggplants from the pan.
- Temper the oil with nigella seed and 2 dry red chilies.
- Add the mustard and curd mixture to it.
- Add Green Peas followed by green chilies as well and bring it to a boil.
- Now add Turmeric powder, sugar, red chili powder, and also salt.
- Now add fried Eggplants and cook till the gravy thickens.
- Serve it hot with your choice of Rice/ bread.
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 10 mins
- Category: Side Dish
- Method: Cooking
- Cuisine: Bengali
- Serving Size: 75g
- Calories: 200
- Sugar: 10.4g
- Sodium: 648mg
- Fat: 13g
- Saturated Fat: 1.7g
- Carbohydrates: 17g
- Fiber: 5.7g
- Protein: 5.3g
- Cholesterol: 2mg
Keywords: begun basanti recipe, bengali brinjal curry recipe, eggplant in yogurt mustard sauce, debjanir rannaghar, veg recipe