Begun Borir Ambol aka Bori Beguner Tok is a runny condiment cooked with Aubergine and Bori (Sun-dried lentil dumpling)
- 1 Begun/ Aubergine (Small; long variety)
- 10 Bori/ Sun-dried Lentil dumpling
- 2 Tbsp. Tamarind Pulp
- 4 Tbsp. Jaggery
- 1/2 Tsp. Panch Phoron/ Bengali five spices
- 1 Dry Red Chili
- 1/2 Tsp. Salt
- 1/2 Tsp. Turmeric Powder
- 2 Tbsp. Mustard Oil
- Wash and cut Aubergine into long rectangular pieces. You may refer to the picture for the cut
- Now marinate the aubergine chunks with turmeric powder and a pinch of salt.
- Heat 1 Tbsp. of oil in a pan and fry the aubergine.
- Strain the fried aubergine from the pan and in the remaining oil fry Bori as well.
- Strain fried bori from the pan.
- Take rest of the oil in the same pan and after heating the same temper with Panch Phoron and Dry red Chili.
- Meanwhile, dilute the tamarind pulp with 2 cups of hot water and add jaggery and dilute that as well.
- Strain to remove impurities.
- Now add this mixture to the pan and bring it to boil.
- Add salt to it and add fried Aubergine and fried bori as well.
- Boil for 5 minutes. Adjust the water if needed.
- The Ambol should be runny in texture.
- Adjust salt and sweetness based on preference.
- Once done, switch the flame off and serve ambol either in room temperature or chilled.
You can substitute Jaggery with Sugar.
You may get Bori in any Bengali shot if you are not in Bengal. Else you can make it at home
- Prep Time: 5 mins
- Cook Time: 10 mins
- Category: Chutney
- Method: cooking
- Cuisine: Bengali
- Serving Size: 50g
- Calories: 119
- Sugar: 10.4g
- Sodium: 586mg
- Fat: 4.9g
- Saturated Fat: 0.6g
- Carbohydrates: 16.9g
- Fiber: 4.1g
- Protein: 2.7g
- Cholesterol: 0mg
Keywords: Begun borir ambol recipe, debjanir rannaghar