Mete Chorchori is a signature Bengali dry side dish prepared with Mutton Liver and Potato Chunks
- 500g Mutton Liver
- 2 Potato (Big)
- 1 Tomato
- 2 Onion
- 2 Green Chilli
- 1.5 Tbsp. Ginger Paste
- 2 Tbsp. Garlic Paste
- 3 Tbsp. Mustard Oil
- 1 Tbsp. Ghee
- 1 Tsp. Turmeric Powder
- 1 Tsp. Red Chili Powder
- 1 Tsp. Sugar
- 1 Tsp. Cumin Powder
- 1 Tsp. Coriander Powder
- 1/4 Tsp. Asafoetida
- 1 Tsp. Bengali Garam Masala Powder
Whole Spices for Tempering
- 2 Bay Leaf
- 6 Clove
- 1-inch Cinnamon Stick
- 2 Green Cardamom
- 1 Black Cardamom
- 2 Strands Javitri
- Wash and cut Mutton Liver into small pieces (preferably small squares). You may refer to the picture for reference.
- Peel the skin and cut potatoes into small pieces (preferably small squares) as well. You may refer to the picture for reference.
- Finely chop Onion and chop Tomato as well.
- Slit the Green Chillies.
- Heat the oil and fry the Potatoes after sprinkling little salt and turmeric powder.
- Once fried and crisp, strain the potato chunks from the oil.
- Now temper the same oil with Bay Leaves, Clove, Cinnamon Stick, Green Cardamom, Black Cardamom, and also Javitri.
- Add Asafoetida to the oil as well.
- Keep the flame on the lower side and cook until the spices emit an aroma.
- At this point, add chopped onion and cook until the onions are properly fried.
- Add chopped tomatoes and also Ginger and garlic paste and cook till the oil separates from the mixture.
- Add a little salt to season the mixture.
- Now add Turmeric Powder, Red Chili Powder, Sugar, Cumin Powder, and also Coriander Powder.
- Mix well and cook till the oil separates from the mixture.
- Check and add salt if needed.
- Add green chilies and mix well.
- Now add Mutton liver chunks and give it a mix.
- Cover the pan with a lid and keep the flame on the lower side.
- Cook for 5 minutes.
- Add potato chunks and after mixing with a spatula add 1 Cup boiling water to the mixture.
- Cover the pan and cook till the Liver is well cooked and potatoes soften.
- This will take around 10 minutes.
- Open the lid and cook on a high flame to reduce the moisture completely.
- The dish should be a bit mushy which is a charter of Chorchori.
- Once done, add Bengali Garam Masala Powder followed by Ghee, and mix lightly.
- Do not overcook Mete as it will make it chewy.
- You may add Green peas if available.
- I have used a lot of Ginger and Garlic in this recipe which is needed to suppress the aroma of the Liver.
- Instead of Mutton liver, you may use chicken Liver as well.
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 20 mins
- Category: Mutton
- Method: Cooking
- Cuisine: Bengali
- Serving Size: 100g
- Calories: 273
- Sugar: 3.2g
- Sodium: 73mg
- Fat: 12.6g
- Saturated Fat: 3.3g
- Carbohydrates: 20.9g
- Fiber: 3.1g
- Protein: 19.3g
- Cholesterol: 234mg
Keywords: bengali mete chorchori recipe, bengali mutton liver curry recipe, liver curry recipe, debjanir rannaghar