Barishali Ilish is a Bengali Hilsa curry cooked with Mustard, Curd and Coconut paste
- 6 Hilsa Chunks (I prefer to use round-cut fish)
- 1 Tbsp. Black Mustard Seed
- 1 Tbsp. Yellow Mustard Seed
- 4 Tbsp. Coconut Paste
- 100g Plain Curd
- 1/2 Tsp. Nigella Seed/ Kalojire/ Kalonji
- 4 Green Chili
- 1 Tsp. Salt or to taste
- 1 Tsp. Turmeric Powder
- 1/2 Tsp. Red Chili Powder
- 3 Tbsp. Mustard Oil
- Marinate Fish Chunks with 1/2 Tsp. Turmeric Powder and 1/2 Tsp. Salt.
- Soak mustard seeds in hot water for 15 minutes.
- Make a smooth paste of the mustard seeds along with 1/4 Tsp. Salt.
- Strain the paste after diluting it with 1/4 cup water to remove the husk.
- Beat the curd so that there is no lump.
- Now Make a mixture of the Mustard paste, coconut Paste, and Curd.
- Add Salt, Red Chilli Powder, and 1/2 Tsp. Turmeric Powder and mix.
- Add Green Chili slits as well.
- Heat 2 Tbsp. Mustard oil in a pan.
- If using the tail (Lyaja) fry it else you do not need to fry the fish.
- Temper the oil with Nigella Seed.
- Pour the mixture and add 1/2 cup of Water as well.
- Once the mixture starts boiling add marinated fish chunks.
- I have added a fried tail as well.
- Cook for around 10 minutes.
- Turn the fish once halfway through.
- Once the gravy reaches desired consistency add 1 Tbsp. Oil and cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Switch the flame off and serve it hot with steamed rice.
- I do not fry Hilsa while cooking except head and tail.
- Mustard oil makes the dish flavorful.
- Instead of Coconut paste, you may use coconut milk as well.
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 15 mins
- Category: Fish
- Method: Cooking
- Cuisine: Bengali
- Serving Size: 200g
- Calories: 369
- Sugar: 1.3g
- Sodium: 1077mg
- Fat: 19.2g
- Saturated Fat: 7.8g
- Carbohydrates: 4.2g
- Fiber: 0.5g
- Protein: 42.5g
- Cholesterol: 73mg
Keywords: barishali ilish recipe, bengali hilsa curry recipe, shorshe narkel ilish recipe, debjanir rannaghar