Tok Dal aka Kancha Aam diye Toker Dal is a Summer special Bengali no onion no garlic vegan lentil soup prepared with green mangoes.
- 100g Red Lentil/ Masoor Dal
- 1 or 2 Green Mango
- 1 Tsp. Mustard Seed
- 1 Tsp. Turmeric Powder
- 1 Red Chili
- 3 Tbsp. Sugar
- 1 Tsp. Salt or to taste
- 2 Tbsp. Mustard Oil
- Wash Lentil thoroughly under running water 2-3 times.
- Peel the skin of the mangoes and cut into long strips after discarding the seed.
- Heat oil in a Pressure Cooker.
- Temper the oil with Mustard Seed and Dry Red Chili.
- Add Green Mango strips and cook for a minute after adding salt.
- Now add Red lentil followed by 2.5 cups of water followed by Turmeric Powder.
- Add Sugar as well and adjust salt.
- Cover the cooker and put the vent weight.
- Keep the flame on the lower side and cook until 3 whistles come out.
- Switch the flame off and wait until the pressure drops completely.
- Open the lid and mix with a ladle.
- Serve it with hot steamed rice and a hearty side of Aloo Bhaja or Aloo Bhate.
You may increase or decrease mangoes based on how sour you want the dal. For 100g Lentil; 1-2 mangoes work fine.
You can add a few green chilies as well.
Some people add ginger as well, however, I prefer the tok dal as simple as possible and dominated with the flavor of green mangoes.
Increase or decrease the sugar based on your need. You can skip it altogether as well.
- Category: Side Dish
- Method: cooking
- Cuisine: Bengali
- Serving Size: 100g
- Calories: 254
- Sugar: 48.6g
- Sodium: 585mg
- Fat: 8g
- Saturated Fat: 1g
- Carbohydrates: 41.8g
- Fiber: 10.6g
- Protein: 7.9g
- Cholesterol: 0mg
Keywords: tok dal recipe, toker dal recipe, kacha aam diye toker dal recipe, debjanir rannaghar